Michigan-Detroit

day of coordinators

ok ladies, i've taken several of your suggestions and met with several differnt coordinators and i just cant get over the price! oh my gosh... above all, im not even sure how to choose which one i want to go with!

i woudl love some input from others who hired one!

Re: day of coordinators

• I guess it matters why you want one and whether you think it's worth the price.

I hired one (Jill from Simplicity) because I had a TON of DIY stuff to set up at our venue, which only provided tables & chairs in the banquet building, and a lovely historic chapel that I also had decor for. There was no way family members could have set up linens, candles, floral centerpieces, menus at each seat, flowers for the gift table, the card box, the shepherd hooks, candles outside the chapel, the wreaths for the chapel door, the hanging paper cones on the pews with baby's breath in them, the programs and fans in the chapel foyer, and there's more but I can't think of it all, LOL. PLUS, she packed it all up into boxes so we could take it all home with us!

For me it was a no brainer to hire someone. I believe the price was around $400 or so, I don't recall. That was for 8 hours present onsite to make sure all the vendors (who were NOT affiliated with the reception/ceremony site) were where they were supposed to be, that the timing of the ceremony & reception went well.......it was a lot.

If you don't have all these issues, and you have a wedding reception venue that provides everything, has a coordinator on site, and you have no DIY stuff, then I'm not sure you need one. But if any of what I mentioned above is similar to your situation, it's the best money you will spend.

• I went with Tammara Kane from Grand Jour Events after meeting with 4 different DOC and planners.  I paid 650 but at the time this was her most expensive package (~July) ... she has less expensive packages.  She seemed the most organized, knew what was going on and was nice and pleasant.  If you havent met with her I would recommend her
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I agree with Sue that you need one for DIY stuff but I did not have any DIY, the only set up that was my responsibility was 3 individual candles set at each table and lit, a few pictures placed on our gift table, and our cocktail tables set up. Not much right so why would I need one...I would tell you one of the best decisions I made! She made sure everything went smooth at the ceremony right before it all started (technically we could have done this without her but why worry about something like this on your big day). Also something that makes a difference is whether you have the time and want to go to the hall/club/reception venue the day of your wedding to see the setup. I did not have time to go and be part of the setup and each of my vendors were responsible for their own setup but even that was still a bit of a disaster. My DOC had to be the referree between the flower/ decoration vendor and the reception hall coordinator. what you have pictured in your head (an even drawn in the plans) may not be what someone else has plans for. Vendors don't always fulfill their contract entirely (ie missing pieces, wrong colors, etc) and these are all things you should not have to deal with on such a big day. I used Shelly from Simplicity and she was great and also very organized. I did a minimal package so it was only around $300. Some people think that having a coordinator at the hall is enough but I would disagree unless that coordinator is looking at all your vendor contracts and tells you that he/she will make sure they all do their job and fulfill the contract requirements then, its not enough. My husband and I paid for our wedding entirely so sticking to our budget was important but looking back I would have paid $1000 for the value my DOC added.
  • I agree with what Sue said.

I hired Grand Jour Events as my DOC and Stephanie was the coordinator who actually was assigned to me. Stephanie was wonderful and really helped put out some fires for me. It was $350 for I think 6 hours with her and an assistant - totally worth it. It was the best money I spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards