Military Brides

wedding colors dilemma

my fiance is currently deployed so planning out wedding is kind of difficult. but anywho to cut to the chase. we wanted our wedding colors to match his dress colors. he currently has dress greens, but the last time he had them on was last january and he wont be able to try them on again until 3 months before the wedding. the army is changing over to dress blues by 2014 so if his greens dont fit he was thinking of getting blues. but that means waiting to pick out colors and bridesmaids dresses til 3 months before the wedding. being a guy he doesnt realize that thats enough time. and being deployed makes it impossible to really know what colors to pick. i am about to say eff it and just make everything look bland and white. its not what i want but if itll make him happy fine. my other solutions were to make the colors gold, olive, navy, and white, but then i think of a peacock and i hate birds... another solution ive come up with is just to do white and gold. idk what to do! do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Re: wedding colors dilemma

• edited December 2011
    My advice....
    Greens are REALLY hard to match.. reallllllyyy hard to match.. and everything goes with the blues.
    Pick the colors you want and don't try to stress over the "matchyness"... It can get a little TOO matchy. Especially if you're trying to match the greens with something. :)

White/black/gold would be beautiful for anything, blue and ____ always look great, vintage inspired colors like warm hues of pinks, tans, yellows, golds, always look great for either as well.

The blues really look great with it all though... You can't go wrong with any color combination. I know a lot of ladies tend to pick a blue and then a pop color like pink or yellow (our colors are royal blue and yellow, for example, although FI isn't wearing his blues).
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter's wedding colors were wisteria, malibu blue, and sangria. She had the Matron, and Maid of honors wear the wisteria, the bm wear the sangria, and the gm wear the malibu. At first I was sickened by the colors because they weren't a "tradtional" match. But I let it go, it was HER wedding after all. In the end it looked great. She implemented all 3 colors into the fowers to "pull" it all together.

IMO blue and green go together add white and/or lavender, or gold and it's all a go.
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is wearing the greens and our colors are blue, black, green and silver and purple
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    IMO- If you guys can swing it, get the ASUs (blues).  Couple reasons- if your FI plans to stay in, he'll need them anyway; also with him being deployed this whole time, his body is probably going to change a bit (he'll most likely either gain or lose weight)- so his greens might not even fit.  If you get the ASUs, they'll have that sharp "tailored" look.  And I just think the blues look SO much classier than the greens.

Don't stress over trying to "match" them.  Put your BMs in what you want them to wear.  If you notice my siggy, my husband wore the ASUs, his GMs wore a traditional Filipino barong, and my girls wore champagne.  With pink flowers.  It all worked.
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or if you can wait as long as possible and see if he can get them issued to him. My FI said there is a possiblity that it could be happening
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:a83a7ab4-8c03-406a-88b1-c477ea2a80a8Post:01bcce91-20f7-46e9-86b5-28e3755b7748">Re: wedding colors dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or if you can wait as long as possible and see if he can get them issued to him. My FI said there is a possiblity that it could be happening
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

OP just a heads up, I don't know if your FI is E or O but if he is O but this case that Kendall mentioned is only for enlisted. Officers are required to buy all their uniforms. That being said, if that's the case, he should be able to order them faster than if he has to have them issued (just because the military can take a while with stuff like that.. especially if it's not required until 2014).
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-colors-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:a83a7ab4-8c03-406a-88b1-c477ea2a80a8Post:01bcce91-20f7-46e9-86b5-28e3755b7748">Re: wedding colors dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or if you can wait as long as possible and see if he can get them issued to him. My FI said there is a possiblity that it could be happening
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

Not true for those who are active duty.  Soldiers are getting issued them in basic training, but for those already in, they will either be required to purchase them with their annual clothing allowance, or they will recieve a one-time allowance specifically for them.  I believe this is what they did about 11 years ago when they switched over to the current PT uniform, but it's been so long I don't remember exactly.  But either way it will come in the form of a monetary payment- they will not go to a central issue facility to receive them.

And If he's an officer, he would already have them.  It's mandatory for us to have them prior to attending our basic officer's course.  HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Don't stress the matching.  It's really hard to do, and IMHO, even when it's done, it rarely looks good.  Just go with colors you & your FI like.
    Photobucket
  • dgirlemmydgirlemmy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    • thank you all so much for your imput it really helps a lot. he likes the greens better than the blues and hes insistant on wearing them. i really like TeamBaby's approach tho. cos i see how well her colors worked out and she didnt match it. it seems like that would be easier. im going to bring all these ideas to him and see what he thinks. again thank you all so much!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think golds & creams go really well with the greens, for what it's worth.  You could do yellows, golds, and creams and it would be stunning!  I'm seeing the girls in yellow, and very soft and elegant floral arrangements with lots of gold touches.  Classy!

I've seen girls do all sorts of things for colors with greens, though, and most of them were quite successful.  The one thing I think you should avoid is to try to be too "modern" since the uniforms themselves, most especially the greens, don't lend themselves to a modern look - they're more classic & timeless.  So go for colors that are classic & timeless. 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards