Catholic Weddings
Options

Full mass timeline

So we are having a full mass for our wedding.  I was wondering if you ladies knew how much time I should plan for the ceremony.  I know I should ask our preist, but he said he will call us sometime this month and hasn't yet.  I don't want to be a pest so I am trying not to call him just yet. 

Re: Full mass timeline

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    it took about 1 hour, 15 minutes but I think it depends on the priest and the lenght of songs and readings you choose.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our priest told us about an hour
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest told us to plan on our wedding mass lasting about an hour. The time can vary depending on how many people will be receiving communion, how long the priest homily is, if you include all the "optional" parts (like the prayer of the couple, devotion to Mary etc..).
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours was just slightly over an hour.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our priest told us an hour for full mass, although I have heard they can last a bit longer like the other girls said.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ours took about 45 minutes.

The homily was fairly short so that probably helped. I didn't see how many people got up to take Communion because my back was toward the guests.

Receiving line took maybe 15 minutes for about 130 people. Then another 5 minutes because everyone was waiting outside for us (we didn't have a toss or anything planned), so we walked outside, kissed for pictures and then told them to head to the reception.

Formal photos on the altar took about 10 minutes. We had a small bridal party and only included parents and my grandma for the family pics (sibs were in the bridal party), and one picture with the priest. The priest told our photographer than photos should be done within 10 minutes because there was a regular Mass at 4 p.m., so the photographer zipped things along quickly.
  • Options
    lauraNkieranlauraNkieran member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours took about an hour & fifteen minutes but a friend of mine last an hour & 45m but that was b/c the priest was a family friend.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ours was an hour and fifteen.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A way to figure it out is to look at the regular Sunday Mass and do this estimated math:

Subtract time:
    -regular sunday attendence minus your Catholic attendence at your wedding
       example: church usually has 500 at mass on Sundays, you will have 100 Catholics receiving communion. Estimate the time for 400 less people going to communion. (Remember to take into account less Communion stations) This also means less cups to prepare and purify after Communion

-Time for collection to be taken, especially if your priest holds the offertory procession until its done on Sundays

-time for Gloria and creed, and sprinkling- not done at weddings

Add time:
    + time for marriage rite and extras (vows, rings, unity candle, flowers to Mary, nuptial blessing, sign of peace ususally lasts longer)

+time for slow procession

• Options
    ZoolooZooloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The length of time depends on many factors, including the number guests, choice of readings, how long-winded the priest is for his homily... but I think most wedding masses are around an hour, give or take.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think I am going to plan for 1 hr 45 min, because usual mass is 1hr 15.  Father D can talk!  LOL!  Although we don't have many receiving the eucherist.  Probably only 25-50.  And we only have about 125 people on our list vs. the 200 -250 that are at mass.  So maybe 1 hr 30mins??  I don't know.  I wish he would just call me!  

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    mlhw, i bet yo'ud be safe wtih 1.5 hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think 1.5 hrs is a good estimate. Our church wedding coordinator told us the length depended on the number of attendants and how many people are going to communion. We have approx 100 receiving communion and 5 attendants on each side and they told us about 1.5 hrs. We are trying to shorten it a bit by using every Eucharistic Minister in the family hehe
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyName Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MeegePVchickMeegePVchick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    agape-  An interesting thing was pointed out to me in my meeting with our priest Sunday - I asked about the unity candle- and he said that it was actually a Protestant ritual and should not be performed in a Catholic Mass.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    meege, yes, it was invented on a soap opera. We actually have the unity at the Eucharist, no need to light a candle to symbolize it before hand (has no meaning for the people in the pews either, everything in the lituryg has meaning with their participation in some way).
    I wasn't encouraging it in anyway and didn't think this was the thread to go into it, but just mentioning it for the time as an "Extra" that comes with some weddings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards