Indiana
Options

Civil Ceremony before Big Family Wedding?

Has anyone gotten married civilly and then had the big wedding a few months later when finances were better?

Re: Civil Ceremony before Big Family Wedding?

• Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's an old Knottie you did this.  I personally don't see the point in it...just wait to have the actual wedding when you can afford it.  I'd be afraid that if we got married civilly and waited to do a reception when there was money, there would never be enough money and it would never happen.  But that's JMO.  GL!
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you get married civilly, you are officially married....so then the next 'ceremony' would just be a vow renewal. I think that is a little strange since it's only a few months later.

Why don't you just wait those few months so that you only have one wedding? And it doesn't have to be a big wedding. You can have a nice wedding on a budget.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We thought about doing this.  My husband had lost his job a year before our planned wedding and we needed to be married for him to go on my insurance.  Luckily, he found another job pretty quickly and we didn't have the financial demands to do it right away.  But I understand there can be reasons to need to be married now, but can't do the big to do.  There are reasons why some people can't wait until they have the financial means to have the wedding they wanted.  Being married has its financial benefits.  If you need to do it, I say do it.  Who cares what others who don't understand think of it.
  • Options
    We are doing this, but not because of finances. We had to get legally married because of my fiance's immigration status but are having our celebration this summer. It's just what worked for us ( because he's graduating and wants to be able to legally get a decent job) and all of our family/friends k ow and understand. It's not traditional and it wasn't our first choice but it's how it worked out. Just be honest about it and it seems ok. I know I'm not the only person out there who has done it, but of you're open about it and do it for the right reasons I think ts fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards