Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Dominican Republic VS Jamaica VS Mexico

I am starting to look for our HM destination, and I am in love with secrets resorts! I am in between the three: just like it says Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Rivera Maya. The thing is we don't want to get stuck on the resort the whole time (going for a week or so), we like to get out and do stuff. We know there is all sorts of excursions we can in Mexico, but what about the other two places? any suggestions?

TIA, Alona

Re: Dominican Republic VS Jamaica VS Mexico

• Options
    I'm sure DR and Jamaica also have excursions. We are staying at Secrets Maroma just because it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and the reviews from Trip Advisor made us decide on there.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If you want to do things off-resort, I would not suggest the DR.  There are some excursions, but nearly the variety of things to do off-resort as in the other places.  I've been to all three places, and Jamaica is my favorite.  Depending on where you stay there are tons of things to do off-resort there - ziplining, Appleton rum tour, cliff jumping, sand caves, Dunns River Falls, shopping, restaurants, etc.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options

I know that you stated that you wanted to stay at a secrets resort, but have you thoguht of taking a cruise?  There are many that go to Mexico and Jamaica and they have sooo many excursions to choose from.  I went on a cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman... You get so much with a cruise that you can't get the value at other places.  Fi and I booked our honeymoon this past weekend, a Carnival Cruise to Grand Cayman, Belize, Isla Roatan (Honduras), and Cozumel... we are so excited!  Good luck, I vote that you go to Jamaica if you want to go a secrets resort, it was wonderful!

-brooke
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_dominican-republic-vs-jamaica-vs-mexico?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:ba5b97a9-7981-4667-872e-7b4e81c98b40Post:9d03be93-a859-4462-96b9-ad6f4cb11e78">Re: Dominican Republic VS Jamaica VS Mexico</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that you stated that you wanted to stay at a secrets resort, but have you thoguht of taking a cruise?  There are many that go to Mexico and Jamaica and they have sooo many excursions to choose from.  I went on a cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman... You get so much with a cruise that you can't get the value at other places.  Fi and I booked our honeymoon this past weekend, <strong>a Carnival Cruise to Grand Cayman, Belize, Isla Roatan (Honduras), and Cozumel...</strong> we are so excited!  Good luck, I vote that you go to Jamaica if you want to go a secrets resort, it was wonderful!
    Posted by abelkins[/QUOTE]

FI and I took this cruise last October...it is great!! Have a good time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    p!nta cana (DR) has about 5% as many excursions as Riviera Maya (mexico). i've been to those two places (mexico 8 times over the past 8 years) but never jamaica.

i suggest doing some research and seeing what each place has to offer outside of the resort.

• Options
    Ditto Secrets Maroma!!  We're headed there and plan do to one excursion off of the resort.
  • Options
    We are also doing Secrets Maroma after an overwhelming number of recommendations.  I'm so, so excited!  I have never been to DR, but did go to Jamaica a few years ago.  Honestly, the only way I would go back to Jamaica would be to stay ON the property at an all-inclusive.  It was literally one of the most amazingly beautiful places I've ever been, but there were several times I was incredibly uncomfortable walking through the town we were in.  We did go do the Dunns River Falls and glass bottom boat/snorkeling, and both were really cool...it was just getting to those places that was definitely not my favorite.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi Alona! I’m a fan of Secrets Resorts as well and all of those locations offer fun excursions if you’d like to get out and see local life and culture! For example, while staying at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana in the DR you can enjoy an excursion to the quaint Altos de Chavon village or take a trip to the largest inland yacht marina in the Caribbean. While staying at Secrets Wild Orchid or Secrets St. James in Montego Bay, Jamaica you can enjoy popular excursions like Dunn’s River Falls or a trip to the Rose Hall Great House plantation. Don’t forget to ask the activity desk at the resort for excursion suggestions as well. No matter what you choose I’m sure you’ll have a great honeymoon! Good luck with your decision! 
  • Options
    We are going to Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana in DR in October.  Our TA had a bunch of good things to say about it.  Looks wonderful...I can't wait to get there to actually find out for myself!  Good luck!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards