Registry and Gift Forum

Bridal Tea...I'm confused!

So I am confused after reading a few posts...My sister-in-law is throwing me a shower (or that's what she said) for my OOS family (which is ALL of my family) while we are in Ohio for Memorial Day weekend. I got the invitation in the mail today and it says "Bridal Tea"...some other posts I saw on here say that Bridal Tea's are a way to throw a no gift type of shower, is that true? But she also put my registry information on the invitation...

The people invited to this will not be invited to my shower in Arkansas (our home state) given by Fi's Aunt and our church...

Please help :)
"It is never to late to become what you might have been..."

Re: Bridal Tea...I'm confused!

• Is your question that you are worried that your family will not get you gifts because they called it a Bridal Tea instead of a Bridal Shower?  Just curious.

If she put your registry info on there, I'm sure they will know to get you gifts. 
  • No, not concerned I won't get gifts, my whole family hasn't been all together in 15 years at the same time, so I'm more excited about everyone being together.

I don't know how to put this in to the right words I guess, sorry for being a little vague...I was just wondering if it's a norm to not bring gifts to a bridal tea, so will everyone know or will some bring a gift and others will see that it's a tea and not bring a gift and feel awkward because others did bring gifts? Even though most of the attendees will be family, there will also be a handful of friends from my high school days there in Ohio...I know the family is bringing gifts, but I don't want any confusion for other invitees...Did I word it better this time?

Sorry and thanks for helping me clarify my question :)
  • Typically yes, a bridal tea or a luncheon is what you do when you want to do a shower type thing but don't want gifts.  Your SIL probably didn't realize this.  

I'm sure if she included the registry info that people will bring gifts.  
  • maybe she is planning to make it a tea party rather than just a random get together with boring games and wilting stremers, IDK bout anyone else but ive been to enough of those showers that thats what comes immediately to mind when I get an invitation, maybe she wanted to distinguish it without knowing about the gifts no gifts thing.
  • My bridal shower was tea party themed.  Centerpieces in teapots, favors were tea and teacups, etc.  Maybe that's what she's going for?

I agree--if there's registry info, people will bring gifts.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I'm from Alabama and around here there are two types - Bridal Teas and Bridal Showers.  At both types the guests bring gifts.  At a bridal tea, it is a come and go type thing, usually for about 2 hours.  It's usually a little more formal.  The guests hand their gifts to someone at the door and one of the hostesses takes it into another room, opens it, and displays it.  The guests basically talk to the bride for a few minutes, look at her gifts, eat a little, and then leave when they are ready.  This is as much of the norm in my area as is Bridal Showers.  Even though it is the norm and I have been to several, I find it kind of rude.  I bring a present for the bride and someone else opens it??  My MOH is throwing my shower, and I know I am not supposed to be involved, but the one thing I did request was that she does not give me a Bridal Tea.  I am uncomfortable with the idea of someone bringing me a gift and then me not even opening it.  It seems ungrateful.  I think the idea behind it is that people can come and go when as the please and it doesn't take up so much of their time....even though I still think it's wierd.  My MOH has NEVER been to a Bridal Shower....only Bridal Teas.  From what I've heard it's a Southern thing. 
  • bexx---thank you so much! My MOH is from Alabama and is throwing this, so I'm sure this is what it is, but I know my family will flip if it is this way! I know it is going to be a formal event, in a historical home in my grandparents hometown, so maybe this is exactly what she is going for? She did tell me that she hopes I'm not disappointed that it won't be a "fun" shower, but very formal and Southern (even though it's for my family, who are all northerners and held in Ohio)...well, it will be fine, thanks for everyone's advice!
  • The last shower I hosted was a bridal tea and every single guest brought a gift.  I couldn't imagine why someone wouldn't,
  • I've never been to a bridal tea before, so I'm not sure of what the norm is. But my in-laws had a small shower for me and it was a tea. They sent out the registry info with the invites and everyone attending brought gifts.
    I, as I think most people, would think to bring a gift if registry info was included with the shower invitation.

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 5/5/2011, EDD 1/12/2012

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My BFP Chart:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards