January 2012 Weddings

Grocery Bills

Hi everyone!!! I just have a quick question. How much on average do you spend a month on groceries? Also how often do you go and do you use coupons, etc? I want to see where I am in the grand scheme of things.

I go shopping about every 2 weeks and on average spend like $230/ month for 2 people, no coupons.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Grocery Bills

• No idea what we spend on groceries anymore.  She subscribes to the asian go down to the market every morning and get food for the day philosophy.  Ok, she's not that bad, but I'm the once or twice a month type.  She does however coupon and argue the death out of them.
  • Um.... I think my Mom spends about that for four of us. But we also plan meals around what is on sale. Also she coupons the heck out of people, almost everything she buys in on sale, and it takes her about 5 hours to go grocery shopping because she goes to the farmers market and about 5 different stores to get the best deals.
  • 230 seems a bit high. But I think it depends on where you live.  When we lived in MN, some things seemed higher than out here. Dairy-who knew?

We spend about 100-150/month. We shop at 3 grocery stores. I look at all three ads and then write what I want from each store. I cut coupons when possible, but it isn't something I do often.

We go 2-3 times a month.
  • Hmmm.... Yeah I have a feeling I am buying in bulk. We could probably support a family of 4 on the amount of food I buy. I didn't even count the extra times I have to pick up milk from the store because we ran out. I am really going to appreciate the tips and tricks I get from everyone!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Haha this is so funny and I feel silly sharing how much we spend. My DH is obsessed with Costco! We spend at least $400 a month there. That does not include little trips to the store. It's ridiculous! We do not eat out much so we save eating at home. Maybe :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_grocery-bills?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:bba61cda-f719-4e02-bde8-9824c51b4ecbPost:f0bb92ac-86a5-46c4-82b6-6db8d200b2f9">Re: Grocery Bills</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha this is so funny and I feel silly sharing how much we spend. My DH is obsessed with Costco! We spend at least $400 a month there. That does not include little trips to the store. It's ridiculous! We do not eat out much so we save eating at home. Maybe :)
    Posted by aleigha85[/QUOTE]

We have a Sam's Club membership. :)  I have it mostly for the cheaper gas, but we do buy some items in the store as well.  Love the bakery section for those days when I have to bring something into work.
  • We typically spend about $200 a month on groceries. I am big on coupons (but have been slacking lately). Our grocery bill really depends on where we shop. If I shop at Walmart I can get the same amount of items for about $85 (instead of 100). They have cheap prices, price match ads, and take coupons too. Keep an eye out on Targets website for Target specific coupons (those can be paired with manufacture coupons for additional savings.)

Even if I have a coupon, I will often buy the store brand instead because it is just cheaper and really I dont notice a difference.
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • We drive 45 minutes out of our way to go to a Trader Joes once every 6 weeks. In case you don't know, then are a little natural/organic grocery store. We love their products and their meat. Everytime we go we usually spend about $175-$220. We go to the regular grocery store on an as need basis and I'd say we spend another $55 every month there. I also shop at Sam's Club too. I'm not sure what I spend there because it's always different.

To sum it up I'd say we spend about $240 per month. Plus we eat out fairly often. I guess It's a lot. I never really thought of it before.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_grocery-bills?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:bba61cda-f719-4e02-bde8-9824c51b4ecbPost:333320ac-ef58-4d18-b223-9397d539d3b2">Re: Grocery Bills</a>:
    [QUOTE]We drive 45 minutes out of our way to go to a Trader Joes once every 6 weeks. In case you don't know, then are a little natural/organic grocery store. We love their products and their meat. Everytime we go we usually spend about $175-$220.
    Posted by TaraW1979[/QUOTE]

We have one here locally that we've been to to look around.  Not really my thing.
  • TaraW1979TaraW1979 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_grocery-bills?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:bba61cda-f719-4e02-bde8-9824c51b4ecbPost:7d4ec1db-70e7-4eb1-bb43-52e13c377de9">Re: Grocery Bills</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grocery Bills : We have one here locally that we've been to to look around.  Not really my thing.
    Posted by jtmh2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Lucky you! I really wish they would open one up in my area but I doubt it will ever happen since we are considered a "shore" area and they think the population is only high in the summer months.  </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_grocery-bills?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:bba61cda-f719-4e02-bde8-9824c51b4ecbPost:943a6d1e-f6e0-417f-99e9-92bfc4132098">Re: Grocery Bills</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grocery Bills : Lucky you! I really wish they would open one up in my area but I doubt it will ever happen since we are considered a "shore" area and they think the population is only high in the summer months.  
    Posted by TaraW1979[/QUOTE]

There's actually two here.  I'm about 30 minutes from either one of them by interstate.
  • Don't feel bad...we spend a ridiculous amount of money on groceries, especially for 2 people.  It's a lot because I just have to have certain brands, I don't shop at Wal Mart or Costco, and I always forget to use coupons.  I also cook a lot.  I would average $100-130 every week...  Now I am on this fresh fruits and veggies kick, where I make it my goal to eat 3 cups of fruits and 4 cups of veggies per day.  So I bought a bunch of stuff at the farmer's market, totalling about $35.  The produce is a much better quality at the farmer's market, but you can easily spend a lot there.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards