Retro and Vintage Weddings

Vintage, food?

What foods look vintage? All I can think about is diner food. But we are going for a more lace, soft, romantic vintage feeling

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Vintage, food?

• I automatically thought "OLIVE GARDEN!" Lol something about Italy is so romantic! So I would say Italian food. What you're describing as vitnage is FAR from 50's. I'm thinking earlier, MUCH earlier.

Although my wedding is vintage INSPIRED (a mish mosh of eras) I have gotten a lot of inspiration from the movie Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. It's like the perfect mesh of vintage meets modern.

I would pick an era that appeals to you and research what kinds of foods were served during that time period. HOWEVER, the most important question you must ask yourself is can you meet that standard? Meaning if you find the type of vintage food you're looking for, can you find someone who will cater it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    150 Invited image RSVP Date: April 15th
    84 Attendingimage
    66 Missing Outimage
    0 Not Repliedimage
  • What era are you going for? Romance, lace, and soft touches seem very 19th century to me. If that is the time you have in mind, I am not sure it would be very easy to do food from that era-- things like aspics, multiple courses, and puddings were very popular and very period, but I think it would be hard to recreate that. It might be better to go for presentation vs actual food, or choose foods that are very "classic" vs stuff like BBQ or burgers. You could also put those things you listed into your cake much easier than food. Might that be an option?
    Photobucket
  • I tried to choose things people would like and that were classic, but a little on the fancier side, since I was going for a vintage glam wedding.  I had chicken oscar and smoked pork loin with some sauce I don't really remember now.  I might try and focus on the desserts more for your theme since they can be presented and may be out longer than the dinner.  Then you can incorporate colors and decor.
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Here are some ideas from this article: http://www.theweddingcommunity.com/353/Expert-Advice/Article/Menu-Ideas-for-a-Vintage-Wedding

"Here are some ideas for the three most popular decades of vintage style weddings:

1920s

Style: Elegant Afternoon Tea, Gatsby excess, Brideshead charm, croquet on the lawn, chaps and chapesses, clusters of occasional tables, table service from butlers, moustaches, tweed and bicycles.

Venue: The long lawns of a mansion house.

Modern Twist: Rap music in a 1920’s style from The Gentlemen Rhymer and a barbershop quartet on stilts like The Top Bananas.

Menu:  Elegant food for elegant people

• Finger sandwiches edged in fresh herbs decorated with edible flowers
    • Stuffed eggs and celery
    • Pineapple cake
    • Florentines
    • To Drink: Pimm’s, tonics and tea in matching tea sets

1940s

Style: Victory Tea Dance Celebrations, muted colours, Keep Calm and Carry On, prints, black and white photos, homemade jam as favours, strawberries and British reserve meets jiving GIs.

Venue: A pristine marquee in the garden strewn with home sewn bunting.

Modern Twist: Modern classics from the Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic Monkeys sung in a war time classic style, and ice cream served from a vintage tricycle from a company like Surrey Ice Creams.

Menu: A buffet of cakes and afternoon tea from mismatched vintage cups

• Lemon drizzle cakes
    • Soft, puffy buttermilk scones with jam and clotted cream
    • Farmhouse fruit cake
    • Flapjacks with ginger
    • To Drink: Tea, ales, elderflower and lashings and lashings of ginger beer
    • Evening Buffet: Pie and mash"

Also, I say classic French fare would suit your wedding style. 

Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Petit fours!  LOL  I don't know what era they belong in, but they scream vintage to me. 
    A friend of mine had a prohibition themed party (roaring 20's) and to try and stay in theme, she posted something about what kinds of foods were popular then.  Mini sandwiches were one of the items, so I brought cucumber sandwiches to that.  Not sure how helpful that is, or what era you're going for, but that's all I got. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards