Canada-Ontario

Ceremonies in Oakville

So we just booked our wedding at the Oakville Harbour Banquet and Conference Centre for May 2011, and are now looking for somewhere close by to have the ceremony. We would be up for either holding the ceremony in a Catholic Church or somewhere outdoors. Any suggestions?

My fiance and I are not from Oakville so any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks! 

Re: Ceremonies in Oakville

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to talk to the priest about getting married in a Catholic church that you don't attend - it's often difficult!
  • edited December 2011
     I know I have heard of people getting married at Smith Spencer park in Burlinton at a gazebo but not sure what sort of permit you would need for that.
    We live in Oakville and ended up having our ceremony/reception in Toronto. Our first choice in Oakville wouldn't allow us to have our ceremony indoors so we decided to go with the Argonaut Rowing Club.
    Could you not have your ceremony in the same place? that's what we are doing, the wedding planner at our hall said the room usually takes 15mins to change over.
    We have a seprate area for cocktails so we are going to usher everyone in there while they change the room.
    You could try a church but like the above poster said it's not easy to get married in any church your not afflilated with never mind a catholic church.
    Best of luck, I will ask around and let you know if I hear anything :)
    May 2011 March Siggy: Our Venue~ Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Sarah & Geoff~ May 14th, 2011
  • suellenslatersuellenslater member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    St. Dominics is the closest Catholic church it is on Rebecca street between Bront R. and Third line, about 10 - 12 min. from your reception venue. If the church is not an option there is Bronte Provinical Park which is about 20 min, from your reception venue, they have shelters in case it rains, and there is also SHell Parkand Cornation Park, Cornation Park is very close to your venue.
    Good Luck!

Sue-Ellen
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!. Yeah I thought it might be hard to get a church in a different city. There are some other rooms at the banquet hall and if they're not booked we could do our reception there...so that is a potential option.
  • suellenslatersuellenslater member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you attend a Catholic chruch in your community you should speak to your priest about having your ceremony at a different church. Or, if it is important to you or your husband to be parents then use their church.
    Sue-Ellen
  • edited December 2011
    There is a beautiful church right across the street from Harbor Conference (a 45 second walk) called Walton Memorial United church, it is not Catholic, but they appear to be open to marrying other denominations.

Check out:
    http://www.waltonmemorial.com/?pageID=74
  • nmcarthurnmcarthur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey - I'm looking at having my reception at the same place - how has your experience been with them so far? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards