Not Engaged Yet
Options

I have a ring question!

So BF and I are taking a step towards getting engaged and want to start looking at rings. While I'm going to let BF make the final decision he wants to know what types of rings I like. I've decided that I want either an asha or moissanite ring but what I'm unsure of is whether I want white gold or yellow gold. I've heard that white gold has to be taken in every so often to be re-dipped in something...is that true? I want a ring that I don't have to have anything done to after I get it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: I have a ring question!

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not very familiar with the metals, but I think you're right about white gold. . . however I saw recently something about a gold-palladium alloy that is white like white gold but doesn't have to be treated.  Anyone else know about this?
  • Options
    HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, from what I've heard white gold needs to be re-dipped, because the white starts to wear off over time..

You can get Palladium..it's a liitle more expensive but it never has to be re-dipped.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard good things and bad things about both. My ring is white gold and we got it July 10, right now it looks like hell ( with alot of scratches and dents). I would highly suggest the yellow gold!

I found this article online that explains the metals and alloys:

http://www.blissrings.co.uk/white-gold-versus-yellow-gold-wedding-bands/
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will tell you that platinum dents really easy. However I was told that in platinum, when it dents it just displaces the metal whereas in white gold when the ring dents/chips it actually takes a piece out of the metal. Platinum you can get buffed/polished to make the chips go away.

What I have noticed when looking online is that there seems to be a far larger selection in "silver" than in yellow gold.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want the white metal color, then your options are platinum, pallidium, titanium and white gold.

Gold is at its all-time highest price point, so right now there's not a significant difference in price between gold rings and platinum rings.  White gold is actually mixed with other golds to produce a white color, as gold is naturally yellow, and white gold rings have to be redipped every 2 years or so on average.  This costs around $50 each time, on average.

Platinum is a softer metal, so it's more likely to have scratches and dents (I feel like I had heard the reverse once, but two jewelers have sworn to me this is true).  The color is the metal's natural color, so it will never need to be replated.  However, because of the softness of the metal, it will get worn down overtime to a brushed finish.  It's still beautiful and the same color, it's just a different effect, whereas the white gold will be more shiny once you re-dip it but might look a little yellow right before you re-dip it.

Pallidium and Titanium are much more rare in rings. 

Pallidium is priced about the same as White Gold, but won't tarnish or fade. It is also hypoallergenic, like platinum (gold has nickel in it usually, and some people are allergic to nickel).  It is a silver-gray-white color

Titanium is the hardest metal, which is good because it won't dent or scratch or bend, but it also will not be able to be resized.  They have to be cut-off in an emergency because they won't re-bend (like in a car accident or something). 

Anniversary

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Hmm....this is all making me lean towards yellow gold, but like loopy said there seems to be more selection in white gold. Its a good thing I have time to mull this over!

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like the look of yellow gold, I'd recommend it.  It's easier to maintain, and totally classic.

Usually any ring made in white gold can also be made in yellow gold.  He won't be able to purchase something from the display case most likely, but typically jewelry stores don't have a problem making that change.

Anniversary

• Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a pic of my white gold class ring.

I've had it for nearly six years and wear it almost every day, and as you can see, it's very slightly yellow at this point (the stone is peridot, so green for comparison's sake). It's not a glaring yellow, and honestly I actually kinda like the look (it's very warm feeling), but it's definitely in need of a redipping (mostly to take care of the scratches).

Something else to consider may be the color of your stone. With yellow gold, you can have a slightly yellow stone and still have it appear really clear and white. But with white metals, you may want a whiter stone if you don't want the stone to appear a bit yellow.

• Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Palladium is great for the super white without maintenance, but you're gonna have to find a jeweler in your area that has experience working with it (in case you need it reszied or prongs fixed). It's a relatively new jewelry metal, so not every jeweler will know how to work with it. If not treated properly, it can become brittle and break, which is why you need a jeweler who knows how to work with it.

White gold depends on your body chemistry. I've had my white gold ring for three years now and it's still white, and I don't think it needs to be replated. Some people have to get it done ever 6 months.

Honestly, getting it replated isn't a big deal or much of a hassle, and I don't think it should deter you from getting white gold if you prefer the look of it. Also, lots of  jewelers will do free replating if you buy the ring from them, or a maintenance (replating, resizing, prong checking, etc) service can be added on for a one time fee.
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, I have both Ashas and moissanites if you have any questions about either, feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    White gold rings have to be redipped in rhodium, which is an expensive alloy.  The wear and tear you put on your ring will determine how often you have to redip it.  Talking to the jeweler, he said mainly you'll have to redip the bottom of the band since its the place where it will come in contact with surfaces more often, think slamming your hand palm down on a table.  Gold in general is at an all time high.  Like the PP said any ring in white gold can be made in yellow gold, or there are rose gold rings out there.  It depends on your style and preference.  I like white gold, yellow gold doesn't look right on my skin tone.  Though my ex roomie prefers yellow gold cause she's paler than I and has pink undertones, verses my olive complexion with yellow tones.  It only takes 30 minutes to have it redipped and will cost me $35 bucks at the jeweler where my ring came from. 

As for platinum it is a metal that is more durable.  Loopy was right when she said the metal will get displaced but won't chip off, the jeweler can buff that right back into place.  Versus gold where it will scratch and chip away.  Just take a look at your jewelers and see what you like on your own hand.  Good luck, so exciting!

EDIT: Also what karat weight your gold is will determine how durable the gold is against scratches, dents and chips.  From strongest to weakest 10K />14K>18K cause as you go down in karat weight other metals are mixed in. 
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My ring is palladium.  I'm totally happy with how the color looks and I know that the color won't change.  The price was the same as white gold, but it takes less maintenance.  It's almost as strong as platinum.

Both platinum and palladium are really strong metals, meaning they won't dent or bend.  They do, however, have a lower surface strength, so they scratch more a little easily than white gold, but they're the best choice for ensuring you won't lose your stone or anything.

Palladium is a great choice, but it takes a little searching to find a jeweler who has it.  It's a pain to work with because it's so strong, yet they don't make a ton of money off of it like they do platinum.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My ring is both a palladium and moissanite ring and I am very happy with it. I wanted a white metal as I am not a big fan of yellow gold and because in my opinion my style of ring does not look right in yellow gold. I have had my ring for a little over a year now and it is no longer shinny on the under side of the band. My ring has more of a matte look to it now but I actually like that look. I could get it polished to shine again but I like the matte look it has now.

My ring was bought online and I knew I would not be able to get my ring dipped for free. This played a major factor in deciding between white gold and palladium because I did not want to have to spend money every few months or even every few years to keep my ring looking white. I believe is was less then $200 to get my ring in palladium instead of white gold but I know that I would have spent more than that in a life time getting it dipped.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't really like yellow gold because of the look, but it is starting to grow on me. My "special" jewlery will always be white gold though.

My "promise" ring is 14k white gold and it looks so nice. My class ring is 10k and it looks a little blander. I haven't done the rhodium plating on the class ring yet but I plan to. My other ring gets dipped every 6 months and is free of charge from Jared. I'm not sure how much they will charge for my other rings yet but I heard it is about $40. It is definitely more up keep but it looks brand stinking new every time I get it done. It has that same I-can't-stop-looking-at-you effect just like the day I got it 3 years ago.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My ring is white gold, but the jeweler we purchased from will redip it as needed as part of cleaning and maintenance--no charge to me.

I think it should really just come down to what you like. I don't like yellow gold and am considering getting my yellow-gold birthstone ring rhodium-plated. If you like yellow gold, then go for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a beautiful white gold ring my dad bought me 7 years ago. I have never had to have it redipped. If that is a big concern you could always go with something else, however, because you are supposed to take your ring in to the jeweler every 6 months to get checked it would not be a big deal to get it redipped or shaped. Most of the time if you find a local or family jeweler they will do these things for free. Most of the time people pay for those services because they don't ask about free deals!
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    White gold rings have rhodium plating to make them bright white.  Over time the plating can wear off and the ring get a yellow tone to it.  I have a white gold ring and have not had problems with the color yet.  It's only been 6 months though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been wearing a white gold ring for almost 2 years (as of December 24 haha) and it still looks amazing. I know that you often do have to get them redipped because gold isn't naturally white (my sister had to get hers redipped after about 4 months...I think something was faulty), but so far, it's standing up really well. The white gold colour is way more popular right now than yellow, which means better selection, and if it's what you prefer the look of, I'd still go for it (despite the maintenance).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    coastiegrl25coastiegrl25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about the band metals, I just know that I'm not crazy about yellow gold even though I wear 2 rings that are.  My Grandma gave them to me so it's really not much of an option.  I love them. 

I just wanted to say YaY for looking at rings and the next step towards getting engaged!
    When is my wedding
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went ring shopping in Canada and were surprised to see a lot of jewelers offering 19ct white gold.  It was slightly more of a yellow color than 18ct white gold, but it never has to be redipped and never changes its color.  It also has a similar density to platinum, so it was much heavier than gold.  The best way I can think to describe it is to say that it was a "warmer" silver color than platinum, but definitely not a gold color.

I've never seen it at a jeweler in the US though.  You could just ask if you can get your ring in unobtainium :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I am the only one with rose gold rings, but I love the damn things. I do need my ring redipped, but the bands won't have to be fixed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards