Hi everyone -- I'm new to these boards and also an encore bride. (I'm divorced.) My fiance is Catholic, I'm Protestant, but open to being married in the Catholic church. However, since I'm divorced, we're well aware that I would need to seek a Catholic annulment of my first marriage. I am more than willing to do this -- I see it as a gift I can give to my future hubby and a wonderful way to demonstrate how much I support him in his faith.
But here's the hitch... my fiance's priest has told us that the process can take as long as 15 months, and neither one of us is getting any younger. We were hoping to be married in mid-March of 2011 (we've known each other a very long time -- 13 years -- and are eager to start our lives together and start a family) but the annulment process would likely push our wedding back to at least the fall of 2011 since we won't be able to get started on the annulment paperwork until June of this year at the earliest. (In addition to everything else, we're having a bi-coastal engagement and we won't be able to meet with the priest together to begin the process until the next time I'm out there, which is early June.)
So here's what we were considering.... start the annulment process as planned, but get married as tentatively scheduled (in a civil ceremony of some sort) in March 2011, and then have our marriage convalidated by the Church once the annulment of my first marriage is granted. My fiance understands that by marrying outside the Church he wouldn't be able to receive the sacrament (at least temporarily) until we can have our marriage convalidated, and he's indicated that he's OK with that.
Has anyone done something similar to this or have any advice to share? Is what we're considering a terrible thing, or have we come up with a reasonable compromise? I'll state again that I'm 100% unopposed to the annulment and to having our marriage convalidated, and I would even be willing to wait until the annulment is granted before getting married (although that would not be my -- or his -- first choice.) We'd of course talk this option over with the priest as well as with my fiance's family -- the last thing I would want is to create a rift between my fiance and his family or between him and his priest, so if we have to wait we will wait. I was just curious if anyone else out there had any experience with this sort of thing and if so I would love to hear your insight!
Thanks so much!