Wedding Woes
Options

Pregnant WWers...a small bit of advice

Take it or leave it as always. :)

If you plan on breastfeeding, get the number of a lactation consultant near you. I do recommend reading and attending classes before you give birth to get an idea. However, when I was in the hospital, I had about 30 mins with the LC. I was exhausted, my time with her was limited because of course they were trying to make sure Chubbs was okay and I was okay, so that 30 minutes flew by and was more or less worthless. I thought we'd figure it out when we got home but we didn't. By the time I saw the LC, I had been home about a week. It doesn't seem like long but it's time wasted and my boobs hurt bad. I wish that when I'd given birth, I'd have just called up right away and made an appointment. It's easier to cancel.

Re: Pregnant WWers...a small bit of advice

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    And if the LC you see doesn't help you, get another one.

Mine was useless for the size of my breasts. I went to the internet, as always, but I should have asked for a different LC in the hospital. The one I saw expected me to use one hand just to keep from suffocating Bacon in a traditional cradle hold - didn't suggest any other positions, didn't seem to care how uncomfortable that would be for me. 

And if you do hate it, don't feel bad giving it up. It doesn't work for everyone. I felt like a total failure, and I wish someone (besides my husband) had told me that she'd be fine, and probably better with a happier mom, to boot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second that. 
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is good advice.

I do want to try to breastfeed, but I'm worried I won't be able to do it. It seems so simple, but from what I've heard it's the furthest thing from simple.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed 1000%. 

FWIW, our local hospital does free consultations. You have to go there, but it was really worthwhile, and far better than paying the $90 the one LC wanted to come to my house.

And yes, a week or two at the beginning is a HUGE amount of time.  I did get to see a couple of LCs in the hospital, since I was there 4 days because of the c/s.  But at that point, they're all just 'it's not uncommon for it to take a few days for your milk to come in, blah blah."  So, yeah, basically no help. 

By the time I went to the LC at the local hospital, it had been almost 3 weeks, and I was so sore it was nearly impossible to recover, never mind that we'd been doing it wrong for such a long time that my supply never really got going. 

Long story, but yes, get on your LC list.  And if you are interested in La Leche League, I found out (after Des was born) that it's best to go while you are pregnant since it takes about 4 meetings (4 months) to cover everything.

• Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    LS, it is simple. Really it is. But it does require patience and being very proactive. TMI...I had flat nipples. Never knew this. Had they said something to me in the hospital we could have gotten a nipple shield and tried that earlier and that would have made a difference. Again, we were rushed for time though. Your kid will eat 8-10 times a day. Times that by a week...that's a lot of feedings where you could be doing it wrong. Babies are creatures of habit and once they've gotten into a habit, it can be hard to break.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very true. I really want to be able to do it, so I'm going to find some resources and find out the name of a good lactation consultant.

If I can't do it, it won't be the worst thing in the world. But I feel like I'd be a bit disappointed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely recommend seeing people before the birth and to be prepared to meet someone after the birth.  I laughed at a 1st trim post of "they'll talk to me after the baby is born."  Except at that point you are too tired/sore/hormonal/inundated with information to know which end of the baby goes on the nipple.

This was my lacation experience though:  Middle of the second night my nipples were raw.  My baby was screaming.  I was crying.  I pushed the nurse button.  When she asked what I needed I just cried "help."  The nurse walked in and without a word squirted something on my nipple.  6let latched right on and we were great to go from there.  The magic serum?  Sugar water.  Straight up sugar water.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    We saw the LC at our pedi's office every week for two months, and DD was still only getting about an ounce per session, vs. me getting 3-4 oz. when I pumped early on (that increased over time). 

The advice above is good, but if it doesn't work out, keep in mind that EPing is also an option if you want to try it.  Not everyone likes it, but it worked for us when nothing else did.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_pregnant-wwersa-small-bit-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:6df0d305-5b24-409a-b0a6-cfe163c6e990Post:77a11a15-3d75-4d1f-988a-184cc641049e">Re: Pregnant WWers...a small bit of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is good advice. I do want to try to breastfeed, but I'm worried I won't be able to do it. It seems so simple, but from what I've heard it's the furthest thing from simple.
    Posted by loveshine1[/QUOTE]

I'm saying this only 2 weeks in, so take w/ large grain of salt...for us?  it's, thus far, simple.

I took the class (part of our birthing class) and I read the book s.
    And I was totally unprepared...but Really, I hold this child near my bewb and she attaches herself and drinks.
    It's a PITA, but it's simple.

We just saw the pedi today and she's gaining weight properly and the LC at the hospital gave us gold stars for, basically, having the latching right thing figured out.

I'm NOT saying this to pat myself ont he back, heaven knows this isn't ME--I aparently have a prodigy of a baby when it comes to this stuff and it's a good amt of luck.
    But sometimes, just sometimes, it really is simple.  (and, s the Mr. has said, "people much stupider and less prepared than us have managed not to kill their offspring, at leat 70% of the time, for centuries")

(and that's not to say it isn't hard--It obviously can be.  It just...isn't always.  Remind me I said that when it gets hard.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards