Interracial Weddings

two DJs? how to mix music from different cultures?

Hi ladies,
My FI and I are planning our wedding and we don't know what to do about the music. I'm Spanish and FI is Arab, and in the traditional Arab weddings they usually have an Arab singer or DJ playing Arab music the whole time! We're having a hard time figuring out what to do- his mother wants an Arab DJ/ singer and I  want to cater to BOTH guests. Has anyone ever had two djs? That's the only way I can figure out how to deal with this issue... thanks in advance!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: two DJs? how to mix music from different cultures?

• edited December 2011
    I haven't heard of two DJ's but unless they will be from the same company  they may have a hard time working together. Are you have to provide a playlist of the Spanish music to Arab DJ! Are you able to see if you can find one DJ that can do both!!

Good luck!!!!
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First let me say I agree with you because having only one type of music played throughout the wedding will isolate half of the guests potentially.  My suggestion is to have an Arab entertainment portion of the wedding and then find a versatile DJ that can play music for all and let everyone have a good time.  I mean if I was attending a wedding with music I had never heard or didn't like I'd feel like it was a downer.  So that my 2 cents for you.  Somewhat of  a compromise and hopefully it works for you.
    80 said yes image
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

You have a lot of time for planning, so maybe you can start by attending a wedding show.  There should be at least 2 or 3 DJ companies and that's a great time to ask the very questions you've raised here.  Also, as you book other vendors (especially venue and photographer), find out if they've worked any similar weddings and might have suggestions based upon what they've seen.

I wish you the best of luck!  It sounds like you will have a wonderful affair!

• Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest booking a DJ who plays both Arab and Spanish music as well as popular songs of ''now'' so people can all join in and dance.  I completely agree with you that having only one type of cultural music playing all night gets a tad long. I'm Italian and if I had to go to a wedding and listen to Italian music all night, I would leave early for sure. A lot of DJ companies cater to multicultural weddings so I strongly suggest looking for that.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I say look into a Dj that would know how to cater to both cultures. My DJ I know has done wedding with two different backgrounds. He even mentioned how one was Italian/Indian but he said everyone danced and loved it.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_two-djs-mix-music-different-cultures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:600acf92-bf65-48c9-8b3b-d186d104e06bPost:9b9eac6a-1661-40ac-9512-895de8661c43">Re: two DJs? how to mix music from different cultures?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say look into a Dj that would know how to cater to both cultures. My DJ I know has done wedding with two different backgrounds. He even mentioned how one was Italian/Indian but he said everyone danced and loved it.
    Posted by JSweetieXO[/QUOTE]

JSweetie, who was your DJ? Thanks!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I agree with PP just find a dj that can cater to both.

• edited December 2011
    My DJ is located in Brooklyn NY so I don't know if that would work for you.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_two-djs-mix-music-different-cultures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:600acf92-bf65-48c9-8b3b-d186d104e06bPost:3eda048f-52c7-4f06-b95a-832685188ea8">Re: two DJs? how to mix music from different cultures?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My DJ is located in Brooklyn NY so I don't know if that would work for you.
    Posted by JSweetieXO[/QUOTE]

We're getting married in North/Central NJ so that might work out. Can you PM me his info? Thanks so much!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Look for a PM !!!!!!! =)
    Part of That World Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards