Latino Weddings

taking last name(s) (Mexican)

I grew up with a single parent, only one last name. Say Mary Garcia.  My fiance has the traditional father/mother combo, say Miguel Lopez Torres. (not our real names, of course.)

In Mexico, usually the bride does not take the groom's name, just keeps her own two, and when they have kids the kids have father/mother combo.

I am not very tied to my last name and plan to take both of his, making me Mary Lopez Torres.

anyone else doing this? opinions?

Re: taking last name(s) (Mexican)

• DodgersBrideDodgersBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seeing as how I am currently in the US(don't follow Mexico traditions) I will most likely just take my FI last name but I haven't given it much thought. Also FI had just FirstMiddleLast. No double last name.
  • sharkgrlsharkgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the only awkward part is, I will have the exact same name as one of my future sister in laws!! Even first name! 
  • DodgersBrideDodgersBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't find that awkward, confusing at times of course. It will honestly be that same as it is now since you two obviously have the same first name now and you currently don't find it awkward now. I don't think anyone is really going to refer to you in a personal setting by your full name so it wont change much.
  • MariodoMujerMariodoMujer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want to drop your last name all together and take both of his, that is perfectly fine. My sister, for many years, had a sister in law with the exact same first and last name until sil married and changed hers.

Of course there are some things to consider, as anyone will probably advise you. If you already left your mark in the professional world, it may be a better idea to keep your lastname and add on his first last name, as is custom in Mexico. But then again, if your kids will take his name, you might want to have the same last name as them. And the again, they could always hyphenate too.

There are infinite options out there. Whatever you decide is best for you is simply that: best for you. But if you want my opinion. Changing your name is not even worth the trouble. I never did with my first marriage but people automatically changed it for me, referring to me as María Sanchez instead of my maiden name María García (Not my real Name) I dont plan on changing my name this time either
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Eh.. I'm still on the fence about this. We're living and getting married out of the country so I won't need to change my name. But if we go back to the States at some point, I'll have to figure out what to do. I do like my last name, I would hate to lose it and it's something I've always thought about so I'm still not sure.

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken you can only take his paternal last name Lopez. Even if you are married, Torres is still not your mother. You can only become Mary Lopez. If you had a second last name it would be yours, Garcia thus Mary Lopez Garcia. Or Mary de Lopez Garcia if we want to get REALLY technical lol! I'm almost positive that's how it works.

I'm also curious, how does your FI use both his last names in the US?? I never had to. I do now because I'm out of the country and I'm required to, but I never did back home. I find it interesting he can still use this system in the US when it doesn't usually recognize maternal last names...

ETA: This also solves the awkward SIL name situation. It's impossible for you to have their maternal last name. You'd have to be blood sisters in that case! :) HTH!

• sharkgrlsharkgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we applied for the marriage license, I was asked what name I was taking, I said both of his and dropping mine,and they said that was totally fine, so it is an option.

Here in the US he uses both of his on forms, on his drivers license,etc,"Miguel Lopez Torres, as I plan to.  In casual settings, signatures, facebook(lol) it is just Miguel Lopez, which I plan to do as well.  I guess what it boils down to is that I want 2, and I am done with mine.
  • edited December 2011
    FI has two last names as you mentioned, but he only uses his father's last name, so I will not be keeping my maiden name or taking his mother's maiden name, I will just be Ruth FI's father's last name.
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Taking FI's maternal (2nd) last name would make you look like his sister, not his wife. But it's up to you. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011

FI and I are both of Mexican descent (pochos!), but he's like 3rd or 4th generation and I'm 1st generation.  I'm honored to be taking his last name. ALTHOUGH, it doesnt sound as nice as mine OR flow with my first name. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking FI's last name. Doesn't necessarily go with mine, but I've been waiting for FOREVER to change my last name from my fathers last name, with whom I have no relationship and haven't since I was a baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • BDAZBTYBDAZBTY member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I am glad to change my name- I will be using HIS middle AND last....
    I feel it is the deepest respect, and honor to give him, hes the love of my life...Do what makes you happy!
    PUERTO RICAN PRINCESS
  • BDAZBTYBDAZBTY member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

ME TOO!  EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOU ARE DOING...I CANT WAIT

PUERTO RICAN PRINCESS
  • edited December 2011
    Hi are you married yet? Ok in mexico when we get married we only take one of the grooms last name thats why the mothers last name is lost. For example Nora Garza Perez GARZA (father' last name) PEREZ (mother's last name) CANTU new husbands last name we take only one so when we write the name the name is like this Nora Garza De (of) CANTU in USA she would be Nora Cantu Hope is helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards