Flowers

Average cost of flowers

First I want to say congrats to all you ladies!
But I am newly engaged and I have plenty of time for the wedding but I have NO idea how much flowers should be... mine, the bridesmaids, His flowers, or centerpieces. Any tips would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Re: Average cost of flowers

• edited December 2011
    We're going pretty modest with flowers.  The ceremony is in my parents' backyard, which already has lots of flowers.  So from our florist we've ordered:

1 bridal bouquet (a mix of garden flowers, probably gerberas, roses, and dahlias)
    3 BM bouquets (smaller versions of mine)
    2 nosegays (smaller versions of mine, too)
    1 crown of orchids for the flower girl's head

5 boutonnieres (dendrobium orchids)
    3 orchids for the dog's collar
    32 stems of orchids and greenery for the centrepieces (2 stems per table)

I think that's it.  It came to around $400, which is really cheap, I think.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on:
    Your area
    How many flowers or CP's you want
    What type of flowers you want
    If those flowers are in season
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

I am very fortunate to have a wonderfully talented friend that I hired to do my flowers. When I wrote up a proposal for her, I averaged the prices from a number of different florists. Here is what I have:

Bride's bouquet: $135
    Throw bouquet: $35
    Bridesmaid's bouquets: $45 each
    Corsages: $18 each
    Boutonniers: $13 each.

Of course, the number and/or type of flowers used can change things!

Best,
  • edited December 2011
      I think most people budget 8-10% of their total wedding budget for flowers. Of course, that can change dramatically with the type of event you plan. You have to decide how much flowers are going to play a part in your decor and figure out what you can afford to spend.
      When you talk to your florist, let them know your budget and ask what they can do in your price range. You don't want to waste your time with someone who cannot accomodate you (although a good florist should be able to accomodate budgets of all kinds). My mom owns a flower shop and I used to work there. Brides would come in with all kinds of budgets and I've seen everything from $10 centerpieces up to $200 centerpieces, corsages ranging from $5-40, etc. If you want seasonal flowers and are flexible, your budget will go farther than if you want expensive flowers or out of season flowers. 
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_average-cost-of-flowers-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:46d4d1f9-ad44-43b1-b87f-5f798e46583ePost:2daa69ab-9666-4d3d-b246-8c85e907a04e">Re: Average cost of flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I think most people budget 8-10% of their total wedding budget for flowers. Of course, that can change dramatically with the type of event you plan. You have to decide how much flowers are going to play a part in your decor and figure out what you can afford to spend.   When you talk to your florist, let them know your budget and ask what they can do in your price range. You don't want to waste your time with someone who cannot accomodate you (although a good florist should be able to accomodate budgets of all kinds). My mom owns a flower shop and I used to work there. Brides would come in with all kinds of budgets and I've seen everything from $10 centerpieces up to $200 centerpieces, corsages ranging from $5-40, etc. If you want seasonal flowers and are flexible, your budget will go farther than if you want expensive flowers or out of season flowers. 
    Posted by janicejab[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this 100%.  I spent about 8% of my total budget on flowers, which were fairly important to me.  I found a great florist who understood my vision and worked with my budget, as any good florist should do.  You can spend anywhere from fairly modest to the sky is the limit.
  • clairerudolphclairerudolph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am gettng married in Chicago an an open loft type space and wanted to know if anyone has any good recommendations for florists.  I am not a big flower person so I was hoping to find someone reasonable as I have only budgeted a very small amount for flowers.  Any ideas of small, local shops that would be easy to work with?
  • edited December 2011
    I agree as well, my budget is about 23000 and my flowers (ceremony arch, aisle runners, ceremony flowers, 14 centerpieces, coursages, cake table flowers, etc) came out to 2400 with tax.
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made my own (daisies, pink and red roses, and lilies) for less than $500 including all of the supplies.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you very much!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm paying around $2,200 for a TON of flowers.  That was my cheapest quote.
    That was a little less than 8% of my budget.
  • flutterby120flutterby120 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting Married in CT and I just booked my florist., They quoted me $1,300-1,350 for my flowers. In the price it includes 16 center pieces is that too much money for what I am getting? I also am getting my boquet and my 4 other boquets. Also 7 bootineers if that the correct spelling. And I am getting two 24' floral arrangements for the ceremony, can some one tell me is that a good price!!!! I am worried its too much. I am having hydrengas and gerber daisys as well as sprit roses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards