Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?

Hi everyone,

I was just digging through my purse looking for lipgloss and I found three (THREE!) spoons... and a fork. They're all clean, but I'm still judging myself pretty hard. Clearly my purse is too large and I don't go through it enough if I can carry around that much cultery and not realize it.

Have any of you found anything weird in your purses lately that you had forgotten about?

Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?

• Options
    I always have a ton of wine corks in my purse.  I save them from the restaurants I go to so I can remember what wine we had.  One time I had 8 and that was only after a couple weeks. 
  • Options
    I couldn't find a pen in my purse the other day so I had to carry around a red crayon to mark off my grocery list.  That was slightly embarrassing. 
  • Options
    I carry a wristlet on purpose so I'm not stuck dragging around stupid random stuff.

Although that ends up making me the person who is always asking someone with the bigger purse for a kleenex or advil.

I don't have kids either.  Woman with kids carry everything.  They are my go-to people if I need something.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I have dirty dice in my purse...one of my friends threw them in my purse and demanded I take them, as she and her FI were having a fight about them. Now I just keep forgetting about them...and not sure what to do with them either to be honest.
  • Options
    I have a small collection of those plastic swords that come with fruity drinks, an extra pair of socks, several colors of nail polish.  Besides that... meh, normal stuff.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've always carried small purses with just the basic necessities, so I always find it amusing when I see friends with huge purses pull out the most random stuff.  Then again, I know who to ask when I need something that I wish I had room to carry, so they definitely have their perks too.

I have a small wallet, car keys, cell phone, pen, hand sanitizer, and chapstick, that's it. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What do you need?  I have several different OTC medications (advil, excedrin, dramamine, immodium, tylenol), tampons, paper clips, safety pins, extra ear buds, a comb, an extra iPod cord and several pens/pencils.  I even have a pair of fastflats incase I hate my cute shoes one day. 

I try to keep the middle of the bag clean, but the pocket is a damn disaster. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:2685615d-8a69-4ccd-a657-b0c0d75e6297">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live out of my pocketbook, dude.  I just rummaged through it real quick and found the usual wallet, keys, sunglasses, and then I've got two knee braces, a big bottle of antacids, a planner that my mom got from her hairdresser, three rolls of mints, a granola bar, a box of Qtips...receipts, medication, coupons, makeup bag, band aids...nail file, pens...hmm.  I should clean this out.
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]
    Minus the knee braces, this is my purse too. In addition, I also have a notebook, checkbook, mints, lotion, business samples, EpiPen, and a bunch of crap. 
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I have wine corks too! (no penis shaped charms though - damn!) They always end up going into my junk drawer at home, I don't actually think I've ever actually used the corks as a reference to buy the wines again but I always tell myself that I will.

Eagles, I am impressed with your pocketbook packing skills. That is a wholelottastuff.

ETA: Just read the rest of the posts and I am now super impressed with those of you who also carry portable pharmacies in your bag.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:7b9c734d-18a4-418d-82e8-b6e5939c1261">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse? : Minus the knee braces, this is my purse too. In addition, I also have a notebook, checkbook, mints, <strong>lotion</strong>, business samples, EpiPen, and a bunch of crap. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

How did I forget that I have lotion and tissues, too?  Essential to my life those are.
  • Options
    I have dirty dice in my gym bag from my bachelorette party.  They're still in the package and I was supposed to give them to my friend and forget every time I see her.  If anyone broke into my locker at the gym they'd probably think much differently of me. 

My purse is so boring.  I don't carry anything in a purse that you're supposed to carry, well besides tampons and a wallet.  I don't have things like lip gloss, gum, tissues.  I'm the worst be prepared type of person ever.  I never owned a purse before I had a kid.  So I'm only 4 years into this stupid purse carrying thing. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:36b0cd87-853b-4b2e-9701-e48102812c1a">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have dirty dice in my gym bag from my bachelorette party.  They're still in the package and I was supposed to give them to my friend and forget every time I see her.  If anyone broke into my locker at the gym they'd probably think much differently of me.  My purse is so boring.  I don't carry anything in a purse that you're supposed to carry, well besides tampons and a wallet.  I don't have things like lip gloss, gum, tissues.  I'm the worst be prepared type of person ever.  I never owned a purse before I had a kid.  So I'm only 4 years into this stupid purse carrying thing. 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

Well at least yours are in a package.
  • Options
    I have at least 6 lip balms and 3 pair of sunglasses - it makes me crazy when I don't have either so I overdo it.

I also have at least 2 pounds of change.
  • Options
    I also just realized that I have two iPods. I think my issue is that I don't have weird stuff, but I have weird amounts of the stuff I do have?

I love knowing what's in people's purses. I guess I'm a snoop like that. We played a game at my shower where teams of women had to come up with strange things in their purses and were awarded points based on what was in there... I was beyond excited.
  • Options
    ...all of the things.

Ever conceivable kind of otc (acid, pain, allergy), epipen, inhaler, antibiotics, bc, gauze, bandaids, sunscreen, at least a dozen lipglosses, two lipsticks, about 6 chapsticks, foundation, foundation brush, powder, mascara, a few eyeliners, nail files, sunglasses, cereal, granola bars, candy, several lotions, deoderant, combs (two), paint samples, about 6 pens, a script...

Pretty sure I could survive on a desert island for about a week.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:d4b207f7-e468-47cb-bd70-20ec2443f931">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also just realized that I have two iPods. I think my issue is that I don't have weird stuff, but I have weird amounts of the stuff I do have? I love knowing what's in people's purses. I guess I'm a snoop like that. We played a game at my shower where teams of women had to come up with strange things in their purses and were awarded points based on what was in there... I was beyond excited.
    Posted by meganbouchard[/QUOTE]

Haha we played that game at my shower last weekend! It was so much fun, i'm a snoop too!
  • Options
    My purses are like...insane.

Right now I have my wallet, checkbook, book for school, highlighted articles for a paper I'm writing, arthritis pain medication, yarn and a sock I started knitting, and assorted other crap including tampons and a package of cough drops that spilled out everywhere.  Plus highlighters and pens.  My purse is my book bag for school.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    3-4 pair of sunglasses, 2 pair of night driving glasses, and a pair of computer glasses. For some reason they just collect in my purse. A couple chapsticks, coupons, receipts, granola bars, a bottle of water, hair brush, deodorant, face blotters, my wallet, and a couple of horse treats.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My friend once pulled a full-sized hammer out of her purse when she was digging around in it for something. I have no idea how she forgot about it and didn't notice the extra weight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:e371af00-d7e8-42d4-bc03-2978ed230dc9">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend once pulled a full-sized hammer out of her purse when she was digging around in it for something. I have no idea how she forgot about it and didn't notice the extra weight.
    Posted by KelaRenee[/QUOTE]

This made me LOL. Amazing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:8d99dd30-6d79-47ed-a535-aac86959e160">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I also must have a pair of nail clippers in my purse at all times.  I also have a pair in my car.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I have to have at least a file with me all the time - I have one at work, in my car, like 4 in my purse. Again, overkill.
  • Options
     I have pretty normal stuff in my purse but from time to time I find random things. Sometimes I don't even remember owning certain things. The other day I found a baby bottle with milk in it in my purse. I don't have children, so that one was different. Then I remembered I had my purse this weekend a friends house who has a 10 month old little girl. Called and asked if she was missing it and she was. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:3bcf6b6c-ef54-47a7-9e56-5c3b551048dd">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still carrying around a clutch from this past weekend, so nothing but my wallet, compact, and some lipgloss in there right now. Now my pursepurse.. <strong>H calls it my trash can</strong>. There are still penis shaped wine charms from the bachelorette party, several corks (and I think an opener - one of those small ones), and who knows what else. ETA: That makes me look like an alcoholic. There are normal things in my purse too.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

FI calls mine "the black hole."  They just dont understand!
  • Options
    I have my cell phone and ipod in the front pocket; car keys, hairbrush and 2 bills that need to be paid in 1 part; sunglasses, fold-up shopping bag, wallet and completed physical forms for both daughters in another part; a cherry chapstick and a pack of Listerene strips in the little zippered part.
  • Options
    Last week I found someone else's Customs form!  It was from the same day that I got back from Mexico, but a different flight. I threw out the form....hopefully no one's detained because of me!
  • Options
    Confession:  When I go to showers where there will be games I always stuff my purse with the most random objects before I go.  I still never win, but at least I get a good laugh out of it all. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-afternoon-ladies-whats-in-your-purse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:762f0978-dcba-4207-8310-8dd240f3aa31Post:d9088310-fc4d-47ce-8871-8ff34fa0c1f0">Re: Good afternoon ladies! What's in your purse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession:  When I go to showers where there will be games I always stuff my purse with the most random objects before I go.  I still never win, but at least I get a good laugh out of it all. 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

You REALLY want that prize :)
  • Options
    I have: tampons, a pad (just in case I guess?), binaca, mints, little roller perfume thing, bobby pins, hair ties, a tiny can of hairspray, hand sanitizer, those little wet cloth things, a map of Portland, cell phone, ipod, cell phone charger, wallet with all my essentials, gobs of change, business cards, earbuds, granola bar, bag of almonds, bag of sunflower seeds (I'm a snacker), 4 lip glosses (I only like 1), compact, eyeliner, mascara, my hunting license and tag from last year,  BCP, and a tiny screwdriver. I really need to downsize.
  • Options
    I'm slightly embarassed that my medical bag is bigger than my wallet.  I have my blood sugar meter, test strips, lancet, paper towel with dried blood on it, glucose tablets, inhaler, Immodium, two different RX stomach medications, ibuprofen, Zyrtec, Sudafed, Mucinex, a few spare pen needles for my shot, and a really grody looking bandaid. 

Other than that... wallet, makeup bag (powder, a couple of lipbalms, and about a bajillion different lipsticks and lip glosses), 4 different nail polishes, Altoids, a few pens, boarding pass from a trip a month ago, receipt from cancelling my gym membership, 3 half empty bottles of 5 Hour Energy, a couple of hair elastics, two tampons, a really old condom (FI have been condom-free for 2 years...), lab orders for blood tests I need to do in July, business card for the loss prevention guy at work, sunglasses, Mom's garage door opener.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards