Louisiana-New Orleans

2012 Brides... or any brides haha

hey girls just looking for some opinions on the time frame for planning/booking, i am a year an a half away from our date april and have just started visiting a few halls, there are some we realllllyyy like but dont want to settle until we know for sure, i know it isnt certian but how long is too long to wait, we def. dont want to miss out becuase we waited but they offered a steep discount for paying in full, thing is thats alot of money to come up with at once so were  figuring out how itll happen asap..
also when is is customary in nola to start booking florists, photogs, etc.. thanks girls for any insight

Re: 2012 Brides... or any brides haha

• edited December 2011
    Hi.  My daughter is getting married March 10th, 2012.  We debated venues for months.   We finally decided to hire a wedding planner.  None of us live in NOLA and it just made since.  Anyway, the planner told my daughter to book her venue soon to make sure she gets her first choice.  She doesn't seem to think we need to worry about anything else at this point.  I don't know where you are looking but I don't remember anyone saying anything to us about paying iin full or a discount for doing so.  I think I would be very wary of that.   Make sure it is a reputable business with a good history.  What happens if they sell the business or worse, close?  Don't mean to be an alarmist but something to think about.
  • LGJ713LGJ713 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should book a venue as soon as you decide it's 'the one.'  I don't know where you are looking, but I know the Pavilion of the Two Sisters and Audubon Tea Room book up FAST.  
  • edited December 2011
    thanks ladies, the place we are looking at has been around for twenty plus years so were not worried about that, thanks for your concern though, im excited there is so much time to consider all the details without feeling rushed i just dont want to be too slow to decide and miss out, i guess it just depends on who else out there is thinking the same way i am and thats the great unknown, good to know im not off base with starting this early..
  • cm10/10cm10/10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are not starting too early.  In Nola- the good places book up fast during popular months.  Also- FYI good photographers book up fast too.  You can probably wait a little while on a florist unless there is one specific place you are dying to have.
  • edited December 2011
    you should book asap! i started looking after we got engaged and good thing i did because the church and band we wanted only had one opening on the same day a year and a half out. They actually picked our date. You will find that everything books fast! I agree with cm10/10. Look at photographers asap and videographers. They do book fast. Happy Planning :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were agonizing over venues a bit, and we finally booked ours almost exactly one year in advance.  The very same day that we placed a hold on the venue, someone else came looking to book it for the same date, so that was a close call!  We were also booking for Saturday of Memorial Day weekend in May which is very high demand date for weddings. 

April is a fairly popular wedding month, but I don't think it's as high demand as May and October...but that being said, you're probably better off booking something sooner than later.  I used to freak out over every decision, thinking that once I committed, I might find something I liked better and regret it.  I realized that sometimes the options are practically endless and you just can't possibly look into every single one.  If you find a place you really like and you are both in agreement, go for it and don't look back :)

Also, I agree with the others...once your venue is booked, priority #2 is photographer!  I think you have plenty of time for all of the other stuff.
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in January 2012. We've booked our church and are due to sign a contract with pur reception hall next week. They are only a few blocks away and with oot guests it was too good to pass up and the price was really good. I really liked the place too. The women at the reception place said that they were already booked until october 2011 and we went and saw them in august 2010. She held our date for us until we were able to contact the church and book with them.

Haven't done anything else yet. Photographer would probably next, b/c the florist we want did my sisters wedding and we informally told her we wanted her to do mine.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm also about to book for April 2012...my venue and photographer were wide open.  Not too worried about the DJ because I know him personally.  They didn't offer us any discounts for paying in full (although I didn't ask) but did offer us the opportunity to lock in current prices.  You definitely have the advantage if you book early, that it will be easier to coordinate schedules and save money.  Good luck!

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • edited December 2011
    Our date is in October 2011 and we just booked the venue. The day i sent the deposit check out, i noticed that pretty much all the saturdas in october were now gone. which was fin for us bc we chose a sunday, but they DO book, so if you are over a year out, I would book soon and you'll be ahead of the game :)
  • edited December 2011
    MY WEDDING IS NOV, 2012 AND I BOOKED MY CHURCH A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND I JUST BOOKED MY RECEPTION VENUE THIS WEEKEND. WHEN I GOT ENGAGED THIS PAST MAY I IMMEDIATELY BEGAN LOOKING AT VENUES AND IT WAS A GOOD THING I DID BECAUSE TWO PLACES I CONTACTED WERE ALREADY BOOKED FOR THE DATE WE HAD CHOSEN SO YOU REALLY CAN NEVER BOOK TOO EARLY FOR VENUES. ALSO, WE BOOKED OUR PHOTOGRAPHER ALREADY BECAUSE HE WAS BOOKING UP FOR 2012 ALREADY. NOT TO PUT ANY PRESSURE BUT I WOULD BOOK THE IMPORTANT THINGS NOW AND YOU CAN PROBABLY WAIT FOR THE SMALL STUFF.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd seriously start looking.  NO is insanely popular for destination weddings, which makes the nice reception halls in the city book fast.  I'm January 2012, and when my fiance and I started looking at reception places several months ago, some of them were already booked!  It's crazy.  Best bet is to just start now on the necessities (reception, church, photographer) so you get whichever one you and your FH really want.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    haha samantha??? its me! matts fiance ashley! lol we are actually set ont he church and hall we just have to bite the bullet and put the deposits down asap!  photogrpaher and all the fun stuff is next!  we are going to the bridal show at the omni this weekend so that may help give us a little more direction on all that!  thanks for the advice! hope we see ya'll soon!
  • edited December 2011
    DUDE.  Matt just IMed me on facebook and told me this was you!  CREEPY--and awesome, haha.  Which hall did you end up with?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BridezilllahBridezilllah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your engagement! I read your post recently and it is never too soon to book your photographer or vidoegrapher! The good one's are booking fast for 2011 and 2012. A friend of mine tried to save on the videographer and after her wedding she viewed Scott Alwert's video montage on his website and knew she made a huge mistake. I won't be making the same mistake I  am not sure if you have found a photographer or videographer yet but check out the Alwert's site they have been doing this for a long time and it shows in their work!
    Congrats again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards