North Carolina
Options

Invitations

Between buying a house and trying to finish up with school I am a little behind on the wedding to-dos. I am planning to get my invitations out next week. I found some of the print yourself ones that I fell in love with and have been working on getting them printed. While getting addresses for people I realized that the set of invitations do not have an inner envelope. The invitation goes directly into the invitation that is addressed. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but now I'm wondering what to do about those people that we are inviting a "guest" for. Do I need to buy outer envelopes or how would I address the ones with guest?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Invitations

• Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just received an invitation for myself and my fiance with just one envelope- at the top where it is addressed to us it had both our full names, instead of just his and then mine inside. So for example:

Mr. Amazing Fiance
    Ms. CJ Blahty Blah
    Address Stuff
    Here

Are you having people bring guests you don't know, and you want to put "And guest?" If so, I am not sure if you need to put that on the outer envelope, I have heard of people just spreading the word through family and bridesmaids that people can bring guests so they know.

HTH! :)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We only used one envelope. We just listed full names (if not married) on the envelope and sent it like that.

Pretty much just like CJ said.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kristal0603kristal0603 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, that makes more sense to me. There's only a couple of people that we are saying they can bring someone that we wouldn't know just so they would feel more comfortable. So maybe I will address those only to the person, give them time to get the invitation, and then let them know they can bring someone with them if they want. Thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is they don't live together. Such as a friend and her boyfriend of only a few months? Would you still include his name on the envelope?
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd address the outer envelope to the person who lives at the address.  Then include a separate handwritten note inside the envelope letting them know that they are welcome to bring a date.

If you know the guest's name you can put it on the outside or just include a note.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If your wedding is still July 24 you're not late getting invites out at all.  Invitations should go out 6-8 weeks before your wedding.  So the last week of May/first week of June is fine.
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't technically live with my fiance but my name was still on the outer envelope, however I like the handwritten note idea too. :)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's also fine if you are just giving them a guest to write "and guest" on the outer (and only) envelope. Although this isn't ideal, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pirategal- yes the wedding is still July 24th. We didnt' send out save the dates, so for some people this will be the first they've heard the date, like some familly memebers down the line. And with it being in July a lot of people we know go on vacation around that time... So, I wanted to get them out a little sooner than maybe normal, but giving them until July 1st to RSVP.  Does that sound right or should a wait a week or two more?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eh, I think it's unlikely that your family would plan a July vacation in May.  If they're going to be vacationing that date it's probably already planned, so the extra couple weeks probably won't make that much of a difference.  If you know your crowd is spontaneous/waits until soon before to plan a vacay you wouldn't be totally out of line sending them now.  Either way, I just didn't want you to go on thinking you were late getting them out.  You don't need to stress over that just yet.

Set your RSVP date a week to a few days before your caterer (or whomever) needs a final head count, that way you have some time to get in touch with the stragglers who forget to RSVP. 

ETA: if you're DIYing placecards or seating chart or whatever and need a little more time than a week, that's OK too.  IMO keeping it in July is good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We only had an outer envelope. We got the names of each and every "guest" and just addressed the invitation to both individuals, even if they didnt live together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks that really helps!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I replied back to this yesterday but it never showed up. I have a friend getting married two weeks before me and we got her invitation almost two weeks ago, so thats why I was planning to get them out soon because that made me feel behind. I think for my sake I'm going to try to get them out the middle of May and leave the RSVP date for July 1 because that seems like an easy date to remember. Thanks for all the tips!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards