Flowers

Saving Money on My Floral Centerpieces?!

So, I met with my florist and decided to save money, that I would buy my own vases, glass gem vase filler, round mirrors, and ribbon for my bouquet and corsages. Now, the question I have is... will this in the long run save me money? I don't mind spending time ordering these items from an online website or going from store to store to get an item here or there. What I DO care about is, where will I get the best deal and my money's worth! Here's what I need in case anyone out there wants to sell or recommend somewhere they know of (online or in-store):

(5) cylinder vases, H: 12"-14", D: 6"
120 oz. amber or gold glass gems (approx. 1,000 pcs)
(5) 12" mirrors- to go under centerpieces
(1) 6" mirror
#9 and #3 gold and purple ribbon

Any suggestions? My guess initially was a wholesaler, but I'm having trouble finding a legit wholesaler that will sell to the public. Help Please and Thank You!!!

Re: Saving Money on My Floral Centerpieces?!

• Mirros you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.  I believe they come in packs of 6 or 10 (depending on if they are bevelled or not).  The ribbon you can purchase at MIchaels or Hobby Lobby, and the vases I would pick up from the dollar store.  Also, there are classifieds on this website that sometimes have glass vases. 
  • Amazon has really been our best shot for vases. Here's yours:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cylinder-Flower-Candle-Wedding-Centerpieces/dp/B0051B4MDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1339697993&sr=8-5&keywords=cylinder+vase

[My fiance looked at the dollar stores online. They didn't have what we wanted. I'd be worried about being certain of getting what we want, because I find their stock changes tremendously and quickly. It just depends on what they can scoop up as more or less cast offs from other retailers.]

Can you ask your florist to price your centerpieces with and without those items supplied? That's what I'm going to do with our vases and our florist. Sometimes florists and other business people can get commodities like vases cheaper because they pay wholesale rates the general public can't get. Sometimes they pass those savings to clients; sometimes they jack up the price beyond what we normal people could easily get.

Another example: For wine, our caterer is basically charging us retail. They're still making a profit, because they'll pay wholesale, about 15% less than what I could get the wine for, even on sale, but it's not the 3x retail you see in restaurants.

If your florist only charges what you'd pay, I'd save the hassle and buy through the florist. If your florist charges a jacked-up price for vases, etc., say you'll get them yourselves and deliver them at X date.
  • I know I might be a little late, and this is kind of not related to your question.  One of the options my florist presented for saving money with the centerpieces was to do a dual-function aisle-markers and centerpieces.  They hang off ribbons and wires on the aisles, then after the ceremony, you move them over the tables for centerpieces and cut the ribbons/wires.

Just a fun option that I'm definitely taking into account.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards