Wedding Woes
Options

Job question

Consider that you are good at your job, have been around for several years and have a good relationship with your boss.  You have made it known in annual reviews, etc., that you would be interested in advancing with the company but so far there have been no opportunities.

Given these circumstances, would you tell your boss that you had applied for a job in another part of the company?

I think it is good to confirm in her mind that I am serious about be willing to move for the right opportunity.  She would never move for a job because her whole family lives within a few miles and I think she has a hard time remembered that I don't have the same situation and would be willing to move across the country no matter how many times I have said it.  And it would actually be much better with her if I look for opportunities within my company where a gradual transition would be possible and I would still be available for questions rather than jumping ship for another employer.

My work BFF thinks it is terrible that I told my boss.  She thinks that disloyalty bells are going off and I am going to be shunned. She has applied for several internal positions and each time she has heartburn over the possibility that people are going to ask our boss about her and let the cat out of the bag.

I equate it with trying to find a boyfriend while refusing to admit that you are single.  Why on earth would you keep it a secret?  How can the opportunities come to you if no one knows that you are open to opportunity?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Job question

• Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Depends on the boss, I think. Yes, there certainly are situations where one would be shunned for such things. Cut out of meetings and given crapwork and get first in line for layoffs and such. 

But other bosses are smart enough to know it's just business and don't take it personally.

• Options
    I trust my boss not to do that kind of stuff.  Besides, most of my duties are set in stone.  I'm the only one that does them.  Any special projects I get put on are just extra work, no additional exposure or anything.  And she is still more likely to put me on it than anyone else she knows I will actually do it unlike a few other people in her fold.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think this depends a lot on the job.
    Where I'm at now, I'd not worry about backlash, but I'd not want to scare them about me leaving...so I'd not advertise it (and a transfer would be me leaving)

Otherjobs, I'd never have admitted it, I'd expect them to start pushing me out.
  • Options
    Every place I've worked, if you're applying for another job within the company they expect you to let your boss know.
  • Options
    Internal job search: yes, tell your current boss.   You don't want her to find out from someone else.

External job search:  NEVER tell anyone at your current company.  But you probably already knew that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards