California-Central

Yosemite Weddings - did you plan it yourself?

I am currently trying to work out the details of an outdoor wedding, followed by a formal reception.  I would appreciate any input from those who have planned their own yosemite wedding :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Yosemite Weddings - did you plan it yourself?

• theKylieBridetheKylieBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in LOVE with Yosemite. I'm sure anyone that's been is. What a beautiful place ot get married. I had a friend get married there. What do you have planned so far? There are numerous locations you can have the ceremony. Where's your reception venue? 

I can't wait to hear more about it!
  • edited December 2011
    so we are hopefully locking down glacier point for the ceremony, and the yosemite lodge for the reception.  This is the nerve wracking part!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glacier point is incredible. I was just looking at some photos of a wedding there and with half dome in the background, it doesn't get much better than that! The lodge is an easy (well, easier) way to handle the reception. It can be almost a one stop shop. 

We were thinking of getting our engagement photos done at glacier point. I think our photograpehrs were as excited as we were about the idea.

If you have any questions, send them my way and I'll hound my friend for answers. 

• CA.GiraffeCA.Giraffe member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I planned my Yosemite wedding - we were married at the chapel, reception was held at the Ahwahnee. Let me know if you have any questions! :)
  • tlsweethearttlsweetheart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have some questions! We are wanting to book glacier point for the ceremony and wawona hotel for the reception for september 2012. i am wondering if its better to do it at 1030am or at 230pm because its less crowded in the am, but the sun is beaming in and you have to squint. we were wondering about photo opportunities up there and if there were better pics in the valley, but then its an hour to the valley and hour from the valley to wawona...so i just need some help!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you staying at the Wawona hotel that night? Or in the valley? I'd suggest a day after session. You can get some beautiful portraits and not have to sacrifice two hours of traveling during the wedding. If not, You will get some beautiful photos from Glacier point. Any direction you look it's breath taking. I think the afternoon light is better for the ceremony. with the sunbehind you guys on glacier point, I think it would be difficult on picture. You'll want to see Half Dome. :) 

• edited December 2011
    I agree with Kylie on doing a photo session on a different day. I am doing a Yosemite wedding at the Ahwahnee in May, and my photographer and videographer are actually doing our "creative" photos the day before, so we can choose the light and not worry about keeping our guests waiting while we travel around the park.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you booked your photographers yet? I'm sure they'll give you a few options that will make your wedding the best it can be. If you haven't picked one I can ask our photographers what they'd do. We're thinking of taking some engagement photos in Yosemite. :)
  • edited December 2011
    So we are well on our way thru planning.  Booked glacier point, along with yosemite lodge for the reception, and just picked out our photographer.

One thing I was thinking about was music for the ceremony...did you do any music?  Also they seemed pretty adamant about the 50 person maximum, but I looked on Yelp and people said there were 75 people at the ceremony.  What was your experience with it?

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    bump!  If anyone has any experiences at this ceremony location it would be appreciated :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I planned my own Yosemite wedding.  We were married on September 30, 2011 at about 3:45 PM on Sentinel Dome.  Our amazing photographer, Patrick Pike (patrickpike.com), recommended an afternoon wedding because said that the lighting would be better in the afternoon.  By the time the were married, took photos with our guests (only 9 total) and the two of us and hiked down Sentinel Dome, we began chasing the light and didn't have time to make it to the valley for photos.  If you're not worried about breaking tradition and are okay with seeing each other prior to the ceremony, you may want to take pictures in the valley prior to the ceremony then have your ceremony at Glacier Point in the afternoon.

As for our dinner and lodging, we all stayed at the Narrow Gauge Inn and had our formal dinner there.  The property is beautiful, the staff was extremely nice, and the food was fantastic.

Carol at Bellissimo Brides does an excellent job with hair and make-up (in case you're looking) and Carol Dewey was a wonderful officiant.  I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful day!  It was perfect!
  • I am trying to find the bottom venue to host my reception. It isn't actually Tenaya Lodge (the bottom photos the top is). Anyone know which venue it is in Yosemite?

Thanks!!
    Margo 

• Hi Margo - I am nearly 100% positive it is the Ahwahnee :)  You can always try reverse image search on google, just to be sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards