Christian Weddings

Advice on alterations.

I'm going to try this again. :-) I posted this question on Attire and Accessories (the board I thought most likely to be able to help), but they moved my question to my local board where it's not being answered because they think I'm trying to get a location. I don't want a location....I need advice of what to make sure I get in a seamstress.

It is time that I get serious about finding someone to do the alterations on my wedding dress. I don't know that much about it, though. Do any of you have any suggestions of what I should look for in a seamstress and/or questions I should ask? My dress is lace and it only needs to be shortened and some bling removed (I've been told that this shouldn't be hard to remove). It fits perfectly everywhere else thankfully. :-)

Anniversary

Re: Advice on alterations.

• does the shop where you got the dress do alterations? From what I know, I believe lace dresses are more challenging to shorten so I would make sure whoever you use, is familiarl and comfortable working with lace. Do you have other friends who have recently got married who could recommend someone?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did mine through the dress shop.  I would look for someone who specializes in bridal alterations if you're in a major city.  Make sure she has good reviews.  Also leave plenty of time... there was a good seamstress in my city, but she was booked two months in advance.  
  • I agree with PPs. The place where you bought your dress should be able to give you names of people that could help with alterations. Definitely check out reviews on weddingwire.com.

As far as what you are looking for - depending on where the lace starts and stops and what type of edge it has, they sometimes have to shorten the dress differently or re-create the edge. Try to find someone who has lots of experience working with lacy dresses. At the very least make sure they specialize in wedding dresses so they know what they are doing.

Good luck!
  • I got mine done by the owner of the dress shop (very small shop!).

Make sure your seamstress has experience with lace wedding gowns.  I'd ask the shop where you bought your dress to give a suggestion.  I highly doubt the dress shop will stear you wrong,  Unless you bought at David's Bridal - I've read their alterations are horribly over-priced.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Most shops do them, but definitely check with your local board as I know we all recommend someone not affiliated with a dress shop.  If you want to come to Oregon for your alterations I know just who to send you to see ;-)
  • Thank you for the suggestions. I was afraid that lace might be a little bit of an issue. I'm a little heistant to contact the shop where I bought the dress, though. They weren't very much help when I bought my dress. I have a few places I'm going to start with, but I wanted to make sure I knew what to look for. Thank you!

Anniversary
  • Ask people at church if they know anyone it's best resource. My MOH and I have a mutual friend who's Mom does them . Also my grandmothers' friend Betty has done all my hems on pants and prom dresses since I was in middle school / high school . Its kinda all who you know ... Honestly ask a short person where they get things alterd...Seriously just think of anyone you know who gets things taken in etc... They might know somebody if you didnt like the original shop you bought it in .
    Love is All You Need
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards