Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement photos -- is white only for weddings/honeymoon photo-shoots?

After blissfully dating my beloved for 4 years, he finally popped the question 10 days ago!
We're headed off to a resort in the Dominican Republic for a one-week vacation and I'd like to have our engagement photos done on the beach.

I happen to have a white bathing suit and I just bought my fiance some cool white board shorts for the photo-- is it inappropriate to wear white for our engagement photos?  Would the white more accurately symbolize a honeymoon getaway?

I think that working in PR/Marketing is causing me to overthink this.  Any advice?

Re: Engagement photos -- is white only for weddings/honeymoon photo-shoots?

• Wear whatever you like I think.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Congratulations on getting engaged.

I think that you're overthinking this.  I'd wear something that you want to wear.  If you want to wear white, that's cool, but I don't think that it's innappropriate.  I never really thought about it before.

FWIW, most people I know who have had engagement pictures done (myself included) did not wear white.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Go for it!  Wear what you feel comfortable in and look best in--white can be great for summer pics and can really pop.  With some brightly colored accessories, I think white is really cute.
  • Yeah I agree with those who've said you might be over thinking things. White doesn't have to mean WEDDING; it's just a colour, and if you have things you want to wear that are white I don't see what the problem would be. Enjoy your vacation!
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    You are over thinking this. Wear what you want. 

Keep in mind that white and black are difficult to photograph. Put them together and... well... be thankful you hired a good photographer for the wedding.

ETA: I forgot to congratulate you! Congratulations! Have fun planning and try not to over think things to much. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited July 2012
    I agree with PPs. 
    You can choose whatevertheheckcolors you want :) 
    If white is what you want, then so be it.. But I would probably run it by your photographer just so make sure they know.. It's not an easy color to handle. 

I personally didn't want to wear white because.. Let's face it.. it's not the most.. "flattering" color. I like to stick to dark stuff in photos just because they are more slimming/flattering... But not everyone has that concern. 

The other question to ask yourself is do you really WANT photos like that? I mean.. White e-shoot, white wedding.. You are paying money to have both of those events photographed... I would want some variety in color to choose from so that the photos in my household were not all white.. but maybe now I"M the one over-thinking this.. haha :P 
  • Are these the only e pics you are having done? What are you planning on using them for? Our photographer roccomended that if we chose to wear white or neutral then to wear a colorful accessory, like a scarf or necklace, near the face. I guess it washed you out. I would be a little concerned too with the sand in the picture it all kind of washing together. Most photogs let you change as much as you like, so you could just bring options. Also, if your using these for announcements, on display at the reception, etc. Then you may want some not in a bikini. Ultimately, do what you and your FI want! This is about you guys and you two being happy.
  • edited July 2012
    My fiance and I wore white t shirts and jeans for ours <3 But honestly wear what makes you happy and what you think looks nice on the both of you! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • The General Rule is if one wears white in an eng shoot you both should wear white. 

A lot of our clients have worn white for eng shoots. 

Some recent ones are in the client gallery area of our site and you can see the thumbnails at
    http://wearepopstudios.com/shophere/

our other samples are at
    http://wearepopstudios.com/weddings.html

good luck and I think that would look great on the beach!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-photos-is-white-only-for-weddingshoneymoon-photo-shoots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:fb16b5f6-6af5-4f2b-91b9-53992f4dc82bPost:9192c5e2-1c46-4b8f-a7a6-40d2739ba753">Re: Engagement photos -- is white only for weddings/honeymoon photo-shoots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's perfectly fine to wear white in engagement pics. My only concern would be whether white would photograph as well as colors? <strong>The only reason I even wonder about it is that I once attended a taping of Oprah, and they had some requirement that people sitting in the first few rows couldn't be wearing white because it didn't photograph well, or stood out too much, or some such thing.</strong>
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

THIS. The same thing happened at the Martha Stewart show. They ended up giving them big colorful shawls to wrap around their shoulders and chests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards