Wisconsin

Zilli's Catering - Charge for GLASSWARE?!

We're getting married at the Domes in late fall 2010 and Zilli's Catering just informed us that there's an extra (extra as in $3.50 PER GUEST, extra) charge to use glassware in our reception, rather than "high quality disposable glassware".

Has ANYONE ever heard of an extra charge to use real glassware at a wedding reception?  We're really turned off by this and are considering other options, despite having several deposits with the Domes and Zilli's.

Also, what would you say to negotiate with the caterer, if you were us?  We already told them that we feel this charge is exorbitant, based on our impression of them as an "upscale caterer" and our assumption that this would be in included service...to which they basically said "too bad".  

Any suggestions or personal experience related to this problem could provide would be awesome!

Thanks!

Re: Zilli's Catering - Charge for GLASSWARE?!

• tjoschkotjoschko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are they the only ones allowed for the Domes?  Zilli's is expensive.  We were able to negiotate with our caterer just by telling them that our top dollar was x and that we would have to go elsewhere if they couldn't get to that number.  Fortunately our favorite food tasting was the lesser of the 2 we were most interested in.

If they are the exclusive caterer, you will have a much harder time...  Good luck!
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got a quote from Zilli's for a venue we didn't end up going with and I thought they were ridiculous. But, it's not uncommon to charge for glassware. Our caterer (Irene's) just included EVERYTHING (food, servers, china, glassware, linens, cake cutting etc) in the price they quoted us, no hidden fees. We had a separate alcohol vendor and they did charge extra for glassware if you didn't want to use the included plasticware. We just used the plastic,and it was just fine.
  • edited December 2011
    So I am also going with Zilli's and after seeing your post, I had to go look at what they quoted! They wrote champagne glass flutes and water glasses were included...but now that I saw your post, it doesn't really clarify if they're actually glass or plastic. I'm hoping not...I don't think I would pay the $3.50/person just for glassware!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

When we were searching we practically drowned in Zillis and Saz's contracts... Its ridiculous.

If I were you I'd fight it tooth and nail and if you can switch, PP with Irene's sounds pretty good! Perhaps for glass, they'd at least be willing to reduce the price. I have a feeling though that they don't feel the need to do so...

• edited December 2011
    Maybe because it's at the Domes and they are concerned about the environment and potential glass breaking??  I know that the Domes has a lot of specfic rules because of the type of place it is.  The zoo is the same way.  I don't know, but I am using Zillis for my wedding in three weeks (different venue though, and I do agree they are pricey) and all my beverages are in glassware and the price was included in the original quote, no extra charges or anything.  Not sure if when I signed my contract that fee wasn't included or what, but I just scoured my contract and there are no extra fees for glassware.  Maybe ask them why that is, if other venues they service have that charge?  If it has something to do with it being at the Domes it might be a Milwaukee County requirement to charge extra since the cost of cleaning up broken glass in that facility might be a lot?

Good luck!
  • knichols0930knichols0930 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Zilli's for my wedding in April. We decided not to go with the glassware because are sure at least one of our guests will drop their drink on the dancefloor. Just something to think about...
  • TinyJeniTinyJeni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also drowning in Zilli contracts/paperwork. We also find ourselves having to triple and quadruple check every updated invoice because they don't seem to ever get one with everything we've agreed on. They keep "remembering" additional costs to add. I have to say, if we weren't so close to the wedding, I'd run the other way.
  • edited December 2011
    We're having Zilli cater our wedding in November (interestingly enough were too were between Saz and Zilli).  I just went to look at our contract and the only mentions of glassware is "water glass" and it doesn't mention if the champagne flutes are glass or plastic.  Given the cost, I'm sadly going to assume plastic.  One more thing to follow up about.  Thanks. 
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_zillis-catering-charge-glassware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:3d6a69a1-b440-4e96-b431-3d5f2be15194Post:6638dd69-925e-41be-877e-6523a3cf8113">Re: Zilli's Catering - Charge for GLASSWARE?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are also drowning in Zilli contracts/paperwork. We also find ourselves having to triple and quadruple check every updated invoice because they don't seem to ever get one with everything we've agreed on. They keep "remembering" additional costs to add. I have to say, if we weren't so close to the wedding, I'd run the other way.
    Posted by TinyJeni[/QUOTE]

Comments like this make me so glad we chose Irene's. They were SO EASY to work with and the cost just included everything from the beginning. No surprises. Debbie (sales manager) was so helpful and knowledgeable and our DOC said there were no issues the day of the wedding.
  • edited December 2011

We just had our wedding at the Milwaukee Public Museum and we received glassware and didn't pay extra for it.  I believe it was in our original contract, but somehow we ended up getting it (and I was expecting the plastic) so it was a nice surprise.

The food was fabulous and everyone is telling us "best wedding ever!" and that they love the food.  One caveat--we ran out of one of the main courses, despite actually being UNDER our original count, and they didn't have any more to replenish.  Definitely a disappointment but I wasn't going to worry about it--I found out that people kept going back for more, and they don't really account for that issue at all.

Overall, I was satisfied with Zilli's, despite some repeated revisting of the same issues to get what I wanted.

• allison9115allison9115 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have Zilli's Catering my wedding and there isn't a charge for glassware.  My future sister in law just had them cater her wedding in May and we had all glasses with no extra charge.  Don't know what to tell ya...
  • edited December 2011
    In my opinion, Zilli's food is awful.  I was very underwhelmed by their food.  The service is spectacular and maybe that is what people love so much about them.  But $3.50 pp is outrageous for glassware.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ehayes1214ehayes1214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to all of you!!  No, its not a Domes requirement that plastic be used and yes, we're restricted to Zilli's in the Domes.  We are in the midst of completely obnoxious and irrational negotiations with them and I'm fed up with the hidden charges and constant referral to "sample prices" when its clear that the information they gave us 6 months ago was a quote.

We are considering petitioning the Director of Milwaukee Public Parks and the Director of the Domes to start including additional vendors as options because we are absolutely uncomfortable with the prices that Zilli's has provided and their inability to be flexible in negotiations.  We feel trapped...isn't that awful?  Regardless, I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again!  What a fabulous community of brides!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for bringing this discussion to light. We, too, are trying to decide on caterers and Zilli's is on our list and we have been negotiating over the phone with them. Thus far they have not given me anything in writing, however, about the specifics that we discussed (other than their sample menu prices).  Thanks for the heads-up - I will certainly be very diligent and careful in making sure that if we go with them to get everything TOTALLY spelled out.
    Best wishes for your planning and wedding!
  • L'il BL'il B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

testing

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards