Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

SONG LYRICS FOR WEDDING VOWS?

Is it acceptable to use song lyrics for your wedding vows? Or is that corny? I was thinking "Feels Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk:

"Somethin' in your eyes, makes me wanna lose myself
Makes me wanna lose myself, in your arms
There's somethin' in your voice, makes my heart beat fast
Hope this feeling lasts for the rest of my life
If you knew how lonely my life has been
And how long I've been so alone
And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along
And change my life the way you've done
It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from
It feels like I'm all the way back where I belong
A window breaks, down a long, dark street
And a siren wails in the night
But I'm alright, 'cause I have you here with me
And I can almost see, through the dark there is light
Well, if you knew how much this moment means to me
And how long I've waited for your touch
And if you knew how happy you are making me
I never thought that I'd love anyone so much
It feels like I'm all the way the back where I come from
."

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Liz

Re: SONG LYRICS FOR WEDDING VOWS?

• I personally think it would be cheesy if you used the whole song. If you used a line or two as a quote that would be fine. Anything more than that, your guests might start singing along with your vows.
  • I agree with above poster.... its kinda long.. maybe just take a few lines from it
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
  • I'm sorry but those are not vows. There is nothing in that song that makes a vow to someone else. I kinda feel if you are not going to use traditional vows then you should write your own and not rip off someone else's creative thoughts. So I do not think you should use a song for your vows.
  • A vow is a promise that you make.  The song lyrics you posted suggest why you feel that you WANT to make vows, but I agree with pp:  they are NOT vows.

And I'd find it cheesy to have someone recite song lyrics.  Sorry. 

If the song is very meaningful to you, have it for your first dance.  Your last dance.  Your processional (if it's in a venue that allows secular music), your recessional.  Have it played during a unity ceremony.  Have it played before your ceremony begins.  Have it played as you're introduced into the reception.

There are a lot of ways to incorporate the song.  Vows are not one of them.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • It's a great song but like other's said it isn't "vowing" to do anything.  Also, it could be considered to have a bit of a sexual connotation which wouldn't go over too well if you are getting married in a church. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It may be different in different churches, but my pastor told us if we choose to write our own vows we must include something that says we promise to be with each other as husband and wife till death.
    So if you are writing your own, you may want to check into that
  • If the song really expresses what you feel, then go ahead and use a few lines from it, but I agree with the PPs, they're not really vows. Make sure to include some of your own personal feelings in vow form in addition to the lyrics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • [QUOTE]I disagree with everyone. Vows don't have to take the form of a promise...they express the love and feelings you have for each other. I've often seen song lyrics used (remember that there's a poem in every song!) and nobody thought it was cheesy. If it's meaningful to you, and expresses what you feel towards your beloved, then you've got what you need.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

A vow is a promise:
    <div class="header"> <h2 class="me">vow<span class="pronset"><span style="display:inline;" class="show_spellpr"></span></span></h2></div> <div class="pbk"><span class="pg"><span><span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">–noun</span> </span></span><div class="luna-Ent"><span class="dnindex"><span><span>1</span>.</span></span><span><span>a</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">solemn</span> <span>promise,</span> <span>pledge,</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">or</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">personal</span> <span>commitment:</span> </span><span>marriage</span> <span>vows;</span> <span>a</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">vow</span> <span>of</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">secrecy.</span><div class="dndata"><span class="ital-inline"><span> </span></span></div></div> <div class="luna-Ent"><span class="dnindex"><span><span>2</span>.</span></span><span>a</span> <span>solemn</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">promise</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">made</span> <span>to</span> <span>a</span> <span>deity</span> <span>or</span> <span>saint</span> <span>committing</span> <span>oneself</span> <span>to</span> <span>an</span> <span>act,</span> <span>service,</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">or</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">condition.</span><div class="dndata"><span> </span></div></div> <div class="luna-Ent"><span class="dnindex"><span><span>3.</span></span></span><span>a</span> <span>solemn</span> <span>or</span> <span>earnest</span> <span style="cursor:default;background-color:transparent;">declaration.</span><div class="dndata"><span> </span></div></div> </div>
  • Gotta agree with the majority.  A love song is not a vow.  One's vows actually promise your faithfulness, fidelity, etc. even when you are NOT feeling all those lovely dreamy things.  (Hence, better or Worse, etc.)  In my opinion, skip using any sort of lyrics and promise your love, devotion, etc., using your own words or a traditional version.

If song lyrics are meaningful to you, you can maybe have them read as a poem or the song performed at the reception, etc.
  • I find recited song lyrics in any setting excruciatingly painful.  Have you ever seen the film version of Phantom of the Opera?  I was sitting in the theatre trying to fashion a shiv out of my straw so I could take my own life.  It just ends up coming across as a kindergarten production of Moliere.

Use the song or its lyrics somewhere else, but if you're writing your own vows, I think it's all sorts of wrong to use someone else's words.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards