Illinois-Chicago
Options

Venues in Chicago burbs

Hi everyone,

I recently got engaged and am planning my wedding back in the Chicago area (currently live in PA). I've found several reception venues online - the usual suspects, like hotels, event halls, country clubs, etc.

There are some nice options but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something a little more unexpected - does anyone have a recommendation for a reception venue that may not be occurring to me? Something that isn't your typical hotel/event hall?

I'm not against those places - just seeing what's out there that I may not be thinking of :)

Oh, and I'm trying to stick within the northern suburbs ideally.

Thanks!

Re: Venues in Chicago burbs

• Options
    JennBrynnJennBrynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our reception will be at Makray Golf Club in Barrington which sounds like one of your usual suspects. 

Last year a friend had her reception under a tent at the Lake County Discovery Museum in Wauconda.  Guests were able to walk through the museum during cocktail hour which I thought was unique.

I've also been to very nice receptions at Country Squire in Grayslake and Independence Grove in Libertyville.  Not really Northwest Suburbs but I hope that helps. 

Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about the Northwest suburbs but try the park district or museums out there. Try googling "mansions for rent". We wanted to do this but it was out of our price range.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If you can define "northern suburbs" it would be easier to narrow the choices.....Metropolis Ballroom/Theatre in Arlington Heights, Cuneo Museum in Vernon Hills, Byron Colby Barn in Grayslake, Starline Gallery in Harvard, Lehman Mansion in Lake Villa, Deer Path Inn in Lake Forest...you can find anything from barns to mansions, theatres to art galleries.....
  • Options
    iwillrock90iwillrock90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its a hall but it is diff. I'm using a V.F.W..... 145 capacity( at the location i am at) and relitavly cheap under 600$
  • Options
    lawhitedlawhited member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chicago Botantic Garden!  I think another bride on the board was just married at Ravinia and her pics were gorgeous!! 

Good Luck and congrats!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ravenswood Events , Salvage One, Prairie Productions.... Very cool locations if you want to be non traditional.

We are going to look at Narnia Estates tomorrow.

Lauren Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Woman's Club of Evanston has a very nice facility that they rent out for weddings. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are getting married at Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook, there is a chapel on the grounds we will marry there and walk a few steps to the Mansion for our cocktail hour and reception. www.mayslakepeabody.com They let you bring in your own catering and bar. See their website for pics, our reception is in the Event Hall which is filled with stained glass windows, marble and wood, it's  a gorgeous room.

I wanted something different as well and this is not your typical banquet hall/hotel.
    There are other Mansions in the Chicago area, just google them. Also lots of nice park district facilities. There is the Newberry Library and the Planetarium and the Brookfield Zoo as well that all have weddings.

Good Luck! and congrats.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using the Women's Club of Evanston, its a beautiful historic building.
  • Options
    lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Byron Colby Barn in Grayslake last month and it was great!  If you're interested, I can post more details.
  • Options
    mags0722mags0722 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I'm a little late to respond here, but thanks SO much for all the suggestions, ladies! I will definitely be Googling my heart out tonight to look at all these...

lunacydress - I have seen the Byron Colby Barn mentioned a lot; what was your experience there? One site I was reading had all these reviews saying they didn't have the best experience due to a certain employee, but it sounds like you had a good experience? It looks really cool, I was a little concerned about size though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards