Texas-Austin
Options

Addressing invitations

I've come to the point of addressing invitations... I can't believe I got here so fast!!

Anyway, we made the invitations ourselves, so we only have an outer envelope. I have been googling how to address with just one envelope, but I can't seem to find an answer on how to invite an entire family or make sure someone knows they can bring a guest. Some sites are saying to put "and family" and others are saying to avoid "and family" at all costs! And, I know the "and guest" usually goes on the inner envelope, but since we don't have them, how to I still convey that message?

Does anyone have opinions on this?!

Re: Addressing invitations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing the and guest on the RSVP card by saying something along the lines of "___ seats have been reserved in your honor"  We're doing a bit more casual invites as well with only one envelope, so I will be putting "The Smith's" on the envelope for families or "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" for couples.  Our wedding is a little less formal, so we're not super concerned with being Emily Post on this one. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine are more casual too with one one envelope. Our RSVP's have the wording 'X' Seats have been reserved for (each persons first name and/or Guest written here). Then on the envelope for the address I'm putting the persons full first names and last name/s if there are only one or two people. For families I'll do either 'The Last names' or 'The Last Name Family' for when we are inviting their children as well. For the single people who will have an '& Guest' I am putting that on the envelope as well as RSVP card. 

Unless you are having a very formal wedding, there's no need to worry that much about how your envelopes are addressed. Just do what makes sense for you.
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We just put the "and guest" on the outer envelope becaue we didn't have inner envelopes.  I know this is not the proper etiquette, but our RSVP card was really full with all the possible meal choices, so we didn't have room to do the X seats reserved thing (and for some reason my mom hated that idea even more than putting "and guest" on the outer envelope).  For families, we were inconsistent.  If they had like four kids (and some of them do) and all the kids were invited, we just put the Last Name Family.  If it was just one or two kids, we put the kids' names on the envelope below the parents'.
  • Options
    Lili316Lili316 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP.  I'm not a fan of the "X number of seats have been reserved in your honor" wording on the RSVP cards, so I'm also putting the "and guest" on the outer envelope,  If I know who the person will bring, like a serious gf/bf, then I addressed the envelope to both of them by name.  Honestly, a lot of people don't even know what proper etiquette is, and things have changed since the days when every invite had an inner envelope.  Do what's easiest for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!! It's good to know we aren't the only people that aren't using the traditional inner and outer envelopes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards