Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Moment for mom

Dad will walk me down the aisle.
Will share father/daughter dance first half with dad second half with stepdad.
Is there something I can do that's "mother/daughter"? I feel like I am leaving her out and she is the one I am closest with.

Re: Moment for mom

• I dedicated my mom's favorite song to her during the reception and we danced to it together.  My sister then joined us. It was a pretty special moment for the 3 of us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm not sure what kind of ceremony you are having but I've seen at Catholic weddings the mom and daughter go to the Mary statue and kneel for a minute during the ceremony and they leave a rose there or something, I have seen this done twice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are not Catholic but if we were that would be great!
  • My mom is in Cincinnati and was pretty much left out of the wedding planning.  I took only her when I went shopping for my dress (actually got the one she picked).  For the wedding, I wore her veil and used her favorite flowers, Daisies, as my wedding flower.  The guests on my side all recognized these as being "hers" and DH's sister thought it was so sweet, she told his entire side.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • We included both moms in the lighting of the unity candle. 
    Anniversary
  • My processional walked down the aisle to "Mama" by Carrie Underwood
  • I honestly felt that as a MOB, my entire day felt special. 

DD and I had a great "day before" the wedding.  We, along with her aunts and bridal party, spent the day having mani-pedi's and lunch.  I truly felt as catered and "attended" to as the bride. 

DD came over to the house the morning of the wedding.  We had a great time having hair and make up done, and noshing on breakfast together. The photographer took several pictures of just mom and daughter.   Prior to the ceremony starting, the guests were as solicitous to me as they were to the bridal party.  It was incredibly nerve-wracking, but special, to walk into church as the "official signal" that the wedding was about to begin.

Both DD and SIL said very tender and touching things in their speeches at both the rehearsal and wedding. 

The very last thing I felt that day was "left out".  I am sure with your close relationship, your mom will feel the same way.

At my nephews ceremony, the officiant made mention of both sets of parents and the role models they had been to the bride and groom.  Shortly after that, the bride and groom "broke" from their dais to offer handshakes/hugs and flowers to the moms.  Perhaps you could incorporate something like that into your ceremony.
  • My mom, sisters, and I danced together sort of randomly a couple times and it was one of my favorite memories and photos of the entire day.  Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful....it just might help to remember that special moments WILL come.  Just make sure you have a great photographer who is sure to capture them. =) 

• Other than the traditional gift to me at the rehearsal dinner and her loving words to me then, she left a letter for me under my pillow before they left on their HM the following day. (she knew I was staying on for a couple of days)
  • I also was most close to my mom and wanted to do something special without removing something from my dad so I went to a local recording studio and had a CD made of me singing "Mama's song" by Carrie Underwood with a special introduction and dedication to her (I was going to sing live but decided I didn't want additional nerves that day) as I also did 2 special songs for my groom, all of which were played at the reception and I gave her the CD with her gifts....she loved it....however if you aren't into singing you could always have a special song like that played during dinner and have the DJ announce it and then give her the CD after the wedding maybe with a special picture of the two of you that day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_moment-for-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:608ba0a6-6915-4aba-ac0d-272731a47022Post:32f0cc74-3daf-4617-8335-47eddc2bf4f7">Moment for mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dad will walk me down the aisle. Will share father/daughter dance first half with dad second half with stepdad. Is there something I can do that's "mother/daughter"? I feel like I am leaving her out and she is the one I am closest with.
    Posted by LizzyRB[/QUOTE]

What about mother/daughter brunch the day before the wedding at <u>her</u> favorite restaurant?  It should be just the two of you.  As well, you can always accompany her on any wedding-related errands she may have outstanding.  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_moment-for-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:608ba0a6-6915-4aba-ac0d-272731a47022Post:ab45f13f-4ae7-4492-8d6a-2005b98b00b6">Re: Moment for mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are not Catholic but if we were that would be great!
    Posted by LizzyRB[/QUOTE]
    I'm not Catholic either so I can see why the whole "Statue of Mary" thing just isn't your thing. Though you could use this suggestion as inspiration. Make up your own "rose type" ceremony. Sounds great to me.<div>For other Ideas: My mother and father spilt when I was only 8. My mother raised me. So naturally Me and my mother are very close. So I also felt the need to express to her how important she is to me on my wedding. I write poetry. So after the ceremony I will gift my mother with a poem that I wrote for her.  I am debating reading it aloud at for her at our reception. You can do this even if you don't write. There are plenty of mother daughter wedding poems online. Use google to help you find one you like.</div><div>Also, at our ceremony my mother will be wrapping me in a blanket. It's a cultural thing. Try digging into your family's heritage & traditions to see if you come up with a "mother daughter" thing. good luck!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards