Hawaii
Options

what would you do?

FI and I have a tent reserved for our wedding next Saturday. I really really do not want one. I think it will interfere with the scenery and don't want to have tables all pushed together.

I have started weather stalking and I know that the only truly accurate forecasts are 7 days out. So far it says 10/9 is sunny, but that there is rain on 10/10. If I want to cancel the tent, I have to do so by this Saturday.

FI thinks we should just get it for peace of mind, but I really do not want to spend $1000 on something I truly don't want. I know that rain here happens all the time, people are used to it, and it doesn't rain much in Kahala since it's by the beach and not in a valley (mountain showers are frequent).

So what would you do? The only thing that would give me peace of mind would be sunny days before and after the wedding in the forecast. Sigh. I want to cancel the tent!

Re: what would you do?

• Options
    dianab0237dianab0237 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh...that's a tough call. I would wait to see what the percentage of percipitation is this Saturday and try to look at a radar map to predict where any rain showers may move towards. $1000 is a lot of money to waste if you don't really want it or need it.

What about asking for a smaller tent for guests to stand under if it does rain? Or make a backup plan inside your friends' house?

I'll cross my fingers for you that it doesn't rain!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow. That sucks. I would wait until Saturday like Diana said. Waiting until the last possible second is lame, but if it allows you to make a better decision and gives you peace of mind, I would totally wait, too.

What happens if it rains and you don't have the tent? Are you ok with standing in the rain or do you have some sort of cover??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm totally a bad bride - I ditched the tent idea for ours, and we did get rained on (more like misted on). Would it be possible to get one last minute if you cancel?
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same situation as you.  My coordinator suggested that we get a tent but I do NOT want one.  We are coming to Hawaii to get married in the open, we don't want to feel like we are in a building once we enter a tent.  We finally decided that I would do what you are doing - watch the weather as close as I can up to the wedding and then decide. 
    I am not sure what to advise you, as you live in Hawaii and know the weather at your location better than I do - but when I have been there and it's rained it's typically been very short and not real hard.  Just try to trust yourself and watch the weather patterns up until the last minute! 
    I personally think I would risk it if your location doesn't get much rain, cause even if you get  a light shower that's really not a big deal! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would cancel it, and hope for the best.  But then we didn't really have a backup plan for our ceremony other than umbrellas.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards