Christian Weddings
Options

Who Do You Think You Are (TV)

I found out tonight (or actually was reminded) that I am a descendent of William Brewster who left England because of religious persecution (he was a Brownist - a dissenter of the Church of England) and immigrated from Holland to the U.S. as a Pilgrim (on the Mayflower)!  He was the religious leader of the Plymouth colony.  I think it's so cool to know that one of my ancestors fought for religious freedom.

I looked in Wikipedia and found that through him, I am related (distantly) to Ashley Judd, Sarah Palin, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Richard Gere.  Someone sent me the link to Ashley on "Who Do You Think You Are" and I watched.  That show is so cool.  I love genealogy.  Anyone else?

Does anyone wonder what you might find out if you were on that show?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are (TV)

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your geneology is so cool!!

We love geneology in my family. All of the women on my mother's side of the family have belonged to the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) which basically means that we have relatives that lived in America prior to 1776 and fought in the Revolution. 

I know we had a couple of relatives come over on the Mayflower-- maybe our people were roomies? ;)

We can trace our family back to the 16th century (I told you we are geneology buffs!) but I'd love to go on the show to have a professional do it!! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother is Mormon, so she does a lot of genealogy.  I learned that my seven-great grandfather "discovered" (if you had a Eurocentric perspective) the San Francisco Bay Area.  He was the scout for the Portola expedition, and he actually spotted the Bay when he was hunting for deer and told the rest of the expedition.  My family has been in California, and mostly the Bay Area, ever since.

Lisa, you and I are probably friends through ancestors... I had an ancestor who was also on the Mayflower!
  • Options
    twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom is a full time geneologist, so I grew up knowing way more about my family history than the average person, lol.  We can trace a lot of our lines on my mom's side to the 1600's.  I do know that I am related to John Winthrop, the first Governor of Mass. and my 4th great grandfather David Archer was best friends with Johnny Appleseed, and when JA died, he as buried on the Archer family farm, which is now a park in Fort Wayne, IN!

FI's stepmom's family is Mormon so there's a lot of geneology on their side, but I'm not sure how much there is on his biological side.  Time to do some research!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know nothing about my genealogy. My roommate last semester was a new Mormon, and I mentioned at some point that she was neck deep in her family history stuff. I might look into mine sometime. It's interesting for sure. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards