Students
Options

Anyone starting law school in the fall?

I'm starting my first year of law school in the fall and am honestly nervous about how well I'm going to be juggling school and wedding planning.
Anyone else in the same boat or any pros with advice?

Re: Anyone starting law school in the fall?

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    Congratulations on your law school admission.   I'm sitting for the bar right now (second one - passed Ohio 4 years ago).  I don't want to scare you any more but...

I would say that you have to let FI know that as of day 1 of school, he is going to be doing all of the heavy lifting with the planning.  If your school is like mine, there is a set number of students who must fail first year classes (e.g. the grades are distributed as 4As, 7Bs, 7Ds and 4Fs, the balance being a C).  The idea is to weed out.  Check out the school's grading policies if you haven't done so already.

The first few months, I was reading and re-reading case law for 7-8 hours a night.  I know it sounds easy, but it's a different style of reading that takes some time to get used to doing - finding the general holding, spotting dicta, understanding the dissent and the theory of the majority holding.  The writing style with blue book citations and getting used to CIRAC answers for exams are also going to take some time to be able to do second nature.  It doesn't get easier until second year and then you have to decide if you are going to do Law Review or Moot Court which is a whole new area of stress that I highly recommend going through if you would like a job at the end.

Knowing I was sitting for the July bar, I rushed through alot of planning before day 1 of Barbri started (btw - sign up for this first year).   I haven't done any planning since.

Also, let your FI know that you are going to be under a lot of stress and to not take things personally.  First year of law school and first year of medical residency are said to be the greatest tests of relationships.  A cousin and his wife have already said this is true (they married during her first year and ten years later are still married.)

Again, best of luck to you and as much as this one day is special, saying I Do is all that is really required to be married for the rest of your life.  Law school requires much much more and will also impact the rest of your life.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Hello! 
    Congrats on getting into law school. That is a task all in itself. I am currently studying for the NY and NJ bar. And I was crazy enough to schedule my wedding date one short moth after the bar. UUGGGHHH!! With that said, I agree with Tidh.

I highly suggest making a schedule that you stick to which gets all the important stuff before September. I suggest photographers too, because the good ones book early. For instance, your dress, location, and a wedding planner. Then get everyone involved - your fiance, mom, dad, maid of honor, and bridesmaids. Al you should do is divvy up taks and approve the things you care about. 

Next, during your winter break, schedule appointments with flower vendors, cake vendors - the less minor things. These ppl can do multiple weddings. Thereafter, small details can be done over the summer. 

In the interim, when you need a quick break from studies, surf the net and buy stuff while its on sale. My best advice is that if you see it and you know you'll need it, then buy it. It's never to early!

Good Luck!

I hope you have until the summer, at least, until you get married. Then this timeline should work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh man, I can't even imagine! My boyfriend just finished his first year of law school and it literally consumes your life.  A relationship is possible, but both parties have to know that things will change - the student won't be able to afford much in the way of a lavish lifestyle (dinner out, trips, etc.) and will have very little time.  It's a sacrifice on both sides - definitely possible, but difficult.  Those who make it are stronger for it.

Hire a wedding planner, loop your Mom and any sisters/close friends you have into the planning, and try to push back your wedding perhaps to the end of next summer so you can set some big things done first (venue, dress, etc.) and the little details done after the first year.  Honestly, it's the only way I could have even imagined managing something like that over the last year.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My ten month engagement was during my 1L year.  I got married 10 days after my last spring exam.  And the wedding was 1000 miles away to boot! My mother and stepmother did most of the legwork, but I took part in every decision made. I was happy that I wasn't micromanaging every last detail, but I did have the final say, and the wedding turned out to be much less stressful for me. Surprisingly, it also made law school a lot less stressful as well... nothing better to get your mind off the stress of exams then daydreaming about your upcoming wedding!

Not saying it's for everyone, but you can definitely plan a great wedding and do very well in school. Laughing
  • Options
    Hey there!  I'm going into my 3rd year of law school this fall!  Very exciting congratulations on getting into law school and on your engagement! 

I have to agree with those who say 1st year is extremely difficult and it is what really gets your entire law school career off the ground.  It is also VERY easy to get distracted by wedding stuff when it is so much more fun than law school stuff!  

Just be very careful to focus very hard on school, maybe try to dedicate a little time during the week to spend on wedding tasks so you don't get burnt out and spend ALL your time on wedding stuff!

Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just finished 1L year. :)
    I'll be honest, it's going to super rough to plan a wedding while going through the hell that is 1L. But if you have a good support system, it can definitely be done!

Also, 1L is definitely trial by fire for you mentally, emotionally, and relationally. My bf really stepped up to the plate and did everything possible to make life easier on me, and it made us stronger than ever (despite me throwing highlighters & my glasses at him....not my finest moment haha).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards