Students

Looking for some advice - kinda long

Since you ladies are from so many different walks of life, I figured I'd come to y'all for some advice.
So last summer I switched from Art ed major/English minor to English ed major. This school year I have finally begun taking education classes and having internships in a local high school English class. Problem is I'm wondering if I really want to teach at all anymore. I enjoyed it while I was a Teacher Cadet in high school, but that was different. Then I was working in a middle school, only there for one period, and I knew most of the students' parents so they all behaved. Now I'm realizing that if I go through with this, I'll be dealing with high schoolers all day, every day. What put it in perspective is when I realized that I'd basically be teaching my teenage brothers and people like my old classmates and I'm not so sure I want to deal with that. And that's if I get a job. Right now only one of the nine closest counties to me has a position open for an English teacher. My state is cutting teachers, not hiring them.

In order for me to get my licensure and graduate by next Spring, I will have to obtain special permission (because of my switching majors) which is going to be a pain. If I don't get that special permission I'm basically stuck for another year meaning I'll graduate Spring 2013. If I do get it, I will have 9 credits over the summer, then I will be juggling 18 credit hours, a 25 hour internship, a 50 hour internship, and my part time job next fall. Then I will do my student teaching in the Spring. I'm doing alright now with 19 hours, a 25 hour internship, and my job; but I'm always tired and I'm getting burnt out.

If I drop the teaching licensure and just go for my BA in English, I will have 6 credits over the summer, 15 next fall, and then I will graduate at the end of Fall 2011. I've looked around at the local job openings and there's a good handful for administrative assistants and clerical positions, all of which require a 4 year degree. I'm really good in an office and have lots of experience in running offices. But I still worry about finding a job. However the retail job I have is actually a really good one and they would be happy to put me at 36-38 hours a week since I'm trained in three different departments.

Dropping my teaching licensure would mean I'd get out of school earlier, meaning I'd hopefully be able to get my own place and get married earlier. After getting married and working for awhile, I'd probably go back to grad school, get my Masters, and look at teaching college.

What's your opinions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for some advice - kinda long

• I think your choice really depends on how sure you are that it's the right career path for you. Since it sounds like you're not so sure anymore, I'd actually encourage graduating earlier, working more hours at your current job to put away some money, and if you can do some volunteer mentoring or something to help you find the right career path. Then, once you know what you want to do, you will have put away some savings and can go back to school to get the MA or the teaching credential.

In a way, this is kind of what I did over the past year, although it was by accident. I got my undergrad in architecture, but was really burnt out by the end. I couldn't find a job in architecture after graduation, so I got a different unrelated job, and started volunteering at the local community theater. I always loved theater, and my experience this year convinced me to get an MFA in set design, so I applied and start an MFA program in the fall. In the meantime, I was able to save up some money so it won't be so hard to do the 3 extra years of school.

Any decision you make, good luck!
  • there are also certificate programs that allow you to go back later and add a teaching certificates to 4-year degrees.
  • Hmm, that's a difficult situation and I feel for you.  On the one hand, there's no point in rushing to get out of school anytime soon since you're going for a teaching position and, well, I'm sure you''re aware of the HUGE education cuts going on.   However, juggling that schedule seems like a nightmare.

I'd say if you're able to get a certification to teach later on down the road without too much of an additional hassle or cost, graduate in the fall with your BA in English, work, do some volunteer work like PP said to determine what kind of career you TRULY want, and then go from there.  I made the mistake of thinking I had to have it all figured out by the time I was a sophomore in college.  I changed majors 3 times and still wasn't happy...ended up having to graduate with General Studies.  By the time I graduated, I knew what I really wanted to do, and now I'm stuck back in school paying for a second Bachelors degree.

It sounds like you have made up your mind though.  In your post it seemed like you were trying to convince me that graduating in the fall of this year was better.  I think you already have thought this through Smile
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You truly have to love teaching in order to make a career out of it.  All the people who go into it for the job security, or for the summers off, end up burning out and changing careers within 5 years.  I'm working on a degree in math education now and I love getting into the classroom and working with the kids.  What truly made me realize I was meant to teach secondary school was when I spent a year substitute teaching in a middle school and adored it.  It was tough, and there were days I cried or wanted to drink myself stupid, but I always wanted to go back the next day and do it again.

I'd advise you to finish in December.  You can always go back for your certification, or go back to college later for a different degree.  I did, and I think it means more to me now than it would have when I was 22 because now I really KNOW what I want to do with my life.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • I guess I pretty much have figured out what I want to do. I really am tired of school and the thought of graduating in December makes me so happy. Then I can go work, save up some money, and get out on my own. Plus, depending on how quickly I find a job, I might be able to swing having my wedding in September 2012. I wouldn't have to start doing some serious shopping and pulling things together until March of 2012 since I'm having a very low-key, low-budget wedding (think of a BBQ at a campground). My fiance will support me no matter what I choose, so its down to convincing my mother this weekend when I go home to visit her.

Convincing her is going to be the hardest part, but there's really nothing she can do to stop me. I know her biggest worry is that I find a job, but today on the phone she told me that all I'd be is a glorified secretary, that the wedding is the only reason I'm wanting to graduate early, and when am I going to find time to have kids between work and grad school later on.Undecided
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just throwing it out there - and plugging my own degree - but if you go for the certification but don't want to teach, consider a Masters in library science for schools. I'm not part of that subdivision of librarian students, but I can tell you that they are offered far more scholarships than your typical librarian student. Part of the reason that I'm bringing it up is because your state is hiring librarians like MAD right now (I've definitely considered relocating there because of it). You could still be working in a school, but not necessarily teaching. Of course, it requires you to stay in school even longer, but it's not as long as most Masters programs.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_looking-advice-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:44e0c96a-5c46-41f9-a33b-711cce5f16cfPost:2754041e-0cd8-47a7-a701-c598d4fc6bff">Re: Looking for some advice - kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just throwing it out there - and plugging my own degree - but if you go for the certification but don't want to teach, consider a <strong>Masters in library science</strong> for schools. I'm not part of that subdivision of librarian students, but I can tell you that they are offered far more scholarships than your typical librarian student. Part of the reason that I'm bringing it up is because your state is hiring librarians like MAD right now (I've definitely considered relocating there because of it). You could still be working in a school, but not necessarily teaching. Of course, it requires you to stay in school even longer, but it's not as long as most Masters programs.
    Posted by cupcakewarfare[/QUOTE]

I'm really considering doing an online program for this after I finish my undergrad! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • I'd do English. If you're not sure if you want to teach, don't. It's not a good time for teachers and like the others have said, you can always add on certification to teach.

GL!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • As an education major who CAN'T WAIT to have my own classroom, I'm going to say: don't teach.  If it's not 100% in your heart, you can't do this profession.  I'm saying this mostly for the sake of all of the kids that may end up with a teacher who doesn't love to teach, but also for you.  You'll be miserable if this isn't what you absolutely want to do.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_looking-advice-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:44e0c96a-5c46-41f9-a33b-711cce5f16cfPost:67041d65-d872-46f6-85b5-ee037892f35f">Re: Looking for some advice - kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]As an education major who CAN'T WAIT to have my own classroom, I'm going to say: don't teach.  <strong>If it's not 100% in your heart, you can't do this profession.</strong>  I'm saying this mostly for the sake of all of the kids that may end up with a teacher who doesn't love to teach, but also for you.  You'll be miserable if this isn't what you absolutely want to do.
    Posted by jferlenda[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I wholeheartedly agree. I'm sort of in the same boat as you, OP - I was very enthusiastic about becoming a high school English teacher when I first came to college and am getting a minor in educational studies. I originally wanted to go from my undergrad straight into my school's Master's in Teaching program. But it seems like every day I go back and forth on whether or not I want to teach! I'm going to grad school for English Literature instead of education to widen my career options and give myself a chance to decide if it's what I really want to do.

As for your mom - it's your life! I know I have a hard time telling myself that when she disagrees with something I do, but I still try and remind myself whenever I can :)</div>
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PPs. If you are having doubts about teaching based on your experiences and realizations, don't force yourself in it. You will hate it and it isn't fair to the kids. Students deserve teachers who want to teach and who have a passion for the subject(s) they teach. 

An English degree is a very solid liberal arts degree that you can market in lots of ways. And you can always look into teaching later if you change your mind. You could also try lower grade levels. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Well I've officially dropped my licensure and I'm so relieved. My mom was surprisingly ok with it once we had a chance to sit down and talk about it.

After I graduate, I plan on working for awhile, then going back to grad school. I'm looking into the possibility of teaching college. I do like teaching, I just don't like the attitudes I'd have to deal with in middle/high school. And I don't do well with large groups of small children - they freak me out for some reason. At least in college I can kick them out of class if they tick me off too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good for you.  I'm glad you made the decision that was best for you :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards