Illinois-Chicago

Travel agents and honeymoons

Does anyone have a good travel agent in Chicago or the close burbs?

Also, for the married ladies, how did you plan your HM?  Travel agent?  Online?  We're pretty stumped for what to do for a HM and would love some advice.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
My food blog!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
June 2012 September Siggy Challenge

Re: Travel agents and honeymoons

• I feel travel agents are good if you're going out of the country to somewhere more unusual (like Asia, Africa), or if you're doing multiple destinations (not just one round trip).  Otherwise it's really a waste of money as there are a ton of sites you can use to plan it yourself for cheaper.  Agencies won't get you any special deals or discounts.

Sign up for the Groupon Getaways, that can give you good ideas if you're stumped for ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• We planned our honeymoon to England and Scotland on our own using primarily online resources.  Travelocity and Expedia were great and we found some things we'd like to do once we got there.  I've heard of people using travel agents, but there didn't seem to be a cost differential for us vs. booking everything on our own.  I think a lot of it depends on where you plan to go.  Good luck!  :)
  • We decided to go simple for our honeymoon -- sitting on the beach at an all-inclusive -- so we booked it all on our own. We used TripAdvisor, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. to compare hotel ratings and deals, and ended up booking directly through the hotel website and the airline website. Pretty easy, once we finished all our neurotic researching.

But I'd say if we ever go to Europe or something, I'd want to hire a travel agent to help us develop an itinerary. I think I'd be overwhelmed.
    Photobucket
  • Thanks ladies. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • I used a travel agent to plan our HM to Thailand. We needed lots of help with the time differences and language barriers. I also had no idea what were the "must sees" vs the tourist traps. I am happy to send her your name. She is out of Hinsdale. We met twice and did everythign else over the phone/email.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • To clarify, TA's don't charge you anything to use them.  They make their money from the companys they book for you.

We used a TA to book our Secrets Maroma Beach HM in Riveria Maya.  We used her to help narrow down the choices because there were so many and we could get her first hand experience and pictures to help us decide.

This year we're doing an 18-day European trip and I'm doing all of the planning myself, without a TA.  It's not really that hard, it just takes time.  I posted on your HM-board post some of the perks we had with booking our HM via TA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards