Outdoor Weddings
Options

Need advice on choosing time of year to get married

FI and I decided on a destination wedding on the beach in FL and in May of 2011, the company that we are using to perform the ceremony is all booked up in May of next year. I suggested June or August. FI suggested September. I always wanted to get married in the spring/summer so I thought June or even August would be good. FI thinks that June would be too busy on the beach because that's when most families are prob going to be going on vacation, and we are from Tennessee, and the first week of August school usually starts back, so he thinks it will be difficult for his cousins and my brother, plus some of our friends kids to get out of school for one day (Friday) because they just started back. He thinks that September would be best because they would have time to have settled in school. I just can't see myself getting married in September, I don't have any real reason except that I really wanted to get married in the spring. His arguement is that we are getting married on the beach and there really isn't much of a seasonal change to worry about. I understand this, but for some reason, I just can't get over the idea that it's September.

So school just started back last week down here, so it will prob be starting back about the same time next year. I think August 20, 2011 is perfect, for his cousins and my brother, gives them 2 1/2 weeks to get settled into school and they would only have to take off Friday to make the trip.

I just need a little advice on how to deal with this situation. Because I am really set on NOT doing it in September.
I can't wait to marry my best friend!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Planning Bio - It's a work in progress

Re: Need advice on choosing time of year to get married

• Options
    edited August 2010
    You really have to set down & discuss what really matters about your wedding with your FI. 

I agree with your FI, the first week of school is hard on kids and parents, personally I'm not so sure I would want my children to miss any school for a wedding.

Marriage is about compromise and you need to start now, set down & really decided what matters the most having friends & family there or having the spring beach wedding of your dreams.

Personally my wedding is in September, outside at a lake pavilion.  We choose the date around several things including pavilion availability and deer season, which is one sport my FI lives for each year.

If you really want spring, how about April?
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Keep in mind the weather in Florida too. I live in the Tampa Bay area, and it is HOT in June. Have you thought about going a little bit sooner? March or April? I'm getting married outside in January. Do you have any family that lives where you want to get married? Keep in mind hurricane season too. It tends to rain a lot down here in the afternoons this time of year. Honestly, in my opinion, the best times to get married outside in Florida are late October to EARLY May.
  • Options
    I say as long as you're getting married, does it really matter when you finally do it? I agree with PP about sitting down with your FI and really discussing it and compromising. On that note, I'm more siding with your FI on this one though when he explained how the early fall weather isn't all that much different seasonally. If you're still not liking September then you may have to settle for a different venue or shoot for spring of 2012.
  • Options
    FL... make it December to May... June to November is hurricane season.
  • Options
    I agree with khorack.  Since you are having a wedding in FL, any summer month is going to be HOT. 
  • Options
    The very hardest part about my wedding planning was deciding when to have it.  I had my heart set on Christmas time, and my fiance wanted spring/summer.  So we compromised and are having it in fall.  I had a small emotional breakdown about it all at first, but it seems so silly now that I wasted so much time being upset. 

I totally agree with fairy diva...compromise starts during wedding planning!  It sure did for us!  :)  Hope you guys come up with something that you can both be happy with.  Have fun!
  • Options
    I say early spring would be perfect time *Spring break?* Would ppl be willing to head down there for their spring break? That is usually in March/April and Florida is prettty!
  • Options
    I have to say I agree with both sides..I'm having a similar problem. Going earlier could mess with your budget and wrapping your head around a fall wedding can be difficult ESPECIALLY if you have summer colors in mind! BUT you have to consider that starting in September in Florida, not only for weddings (venues, caterers,florists, etc) start to go off-peak so things will get cheaper, and the weather might be a little bit nicer, although some parts of Florida stay pretty consistant. You have to consider too, hurricane season starts sometime in September so that's a CON. There are a lot of things to consider, I know, because I'm in the exact same spot. I can't sympathize with the back to school part, because there's not a lot of our family still in school, and our wedding will be on a Saturday anyhow. Maybe check out the weather at weather.com (they have a special weddings section where you can set your date and it will tell you what the predicted weather for that time of year is going to be), and consider if you are willing to work your colors (although you won't have to compete with fall foliage on the beach, you might be the type of person who doesn't want to have summer colors for a fall wedding regardless so that's something to think about)j, and in the end you both should be compromising and deciding together..as difficult as that is! Lol.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice!
    Good news! I emailed the owner of the company for the ceremony about dates and when they were open, and she told me 10 mins before she read my email had a bride cancel for the evening of may 7, 2011, the exact date and time I wanted. So the date and ceremony site are booked for May 7, 2011 at 7pm, with sunset at 7:45! perfect =]
    I can't wait to marry my best friend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio - It's a work in progress
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards