South Asian Weddings

Facebook

Since I'm not engaged yet and I hate speculation, I don't have any public picutres on FB of my boyfriend and I. Does anyone else have nosy family members? As nice as they are, they always ask questions...at the weirdest times, ever.

My family in the US is limited, so our family in Canada / The UK is always creepin' on FB. It's soooooooooooooooooooo desi.

Re: Facebook

• Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't post pictures of FI and I together until it was official really.  But my parents/his parents knew we were seeing each other the whole time

I hate creepers so I keep my facebook info minimal and keep my privacy at maximum
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seriously! Me too! I'm not particularly close a lot of my cousins, mostly because we've been so far away...but a lot of it is because gossip among Indians - regardless of the fact that they're related - runs rampant like the plague! I have cousins who get their s*its and giggles off of bad mouthing eachother. Not cool.

My FB is on mega lockdown. My boyfriend is on there but his profile barely has a sentence in there about him and no picture. Then again, he hardly logs on.
  • edited December 2011
    Sonali

I didnt post any close pictures of me and FI (cousins and stuff on fb) till it was official too and I didnt let my friend comment on it, all my gf's were aware of the situation, I told em till you see it on my fb  as engaged do not mention wedding or congratulate me. Sadly one of my bff's just broke off her engagement (her FI was a douche bag, she has only dated him and he walked away from their wedding last yr  they got back together again and now told her he is moving to india and she should follow him, WTF) she got an amazing job in NYC and being an amazing confident beautiful woman she might finally move on after this betrayl second time around. I digress again
    SO yea its good to be cautious about who and what you post..better to wait till its official!! What is your fb add me - Nicky Saini :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I added you! I think that's you!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sonali,

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I have cousins just like that, but I knew hiding FI is just not going to work.  Since my parents knew about him and this is the guy I will marry, I didn't care for the rest, when they asked I told them. Becasue they will still bad talk regardless of what you tell them or not tell them.  I simply don't care and I made sure I did not befriend them on FB and try to keep minimal info on FB. 
  • edited December 2011
    oo let me check..
  • edited December 2011

Haha its not me...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dude, I got some girl from Canada...

I'm thinking this girl is not you?
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

While you are at it Sonali, add me as well Hina J.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :( Which one is?!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I added you Hina...Is that you?

I'm Sonali Bee on FB! The picture is of a girl (me) in a green / orange sari with a little girl in front of her.
  • edited December 2011

MY network is philadephia..email jnsaini@gmail.com
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found you, Nicky!
  • edited December 2011
    We both had pictures of us together pretty early on, and changed states to "engaged" the same day he popped the question. But then, he doesn't interact with his family much except for his brother and a few cousins he gets along with, and I only have a few family members added on my FB page. All our friends saw it coming a mile away, so it was no surprise to them at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My 70 year old grandmother has a facebook...the one who comes from my Dad's side who I'm not close to.

That was bizarre.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't have anything on FB until we were officially engaged and my parents had called relatives to tell them. I didnt want the creepers to find out from FB and I felt that it was too impersonal for people to find out that way, regardless of whether they are friends or family.

Side bar - I have spent way too much time this evening posting on the boards. I really need to focus on wrapping up my work-work (yes, even at 10:15 PM) and get to bed.
    ExerciseMilestone
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me too :( It's addictive!
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it is addictive :$
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kavita85kavita85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's addictive, but I like how this board is much more active now. I used to lurk here and it used to be dead all the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah I used tor come here earlier Kavita and there wasn't nearly as much activity as it has been lately.  I love our group!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I sit on here during the day at work. I talk to insurance companies all day so I have a lot of time to just read and post.

Experience from Facebook: I was engaged about 3 years ago to the guy I thought I would marry. Well we had it all over facebook, all our family and friends knew. Really it was really this big deal. Then I started realizing that everything I thought I knew about him was becoming a lie and I couldn't do it anymore so I ended it. Bad business. I had people for a year asking me how he was and how wedding planning was going.

This time I limited my information. We recently started putting things up and it's blocked from most people just our friends really. We are going to family functions for eachother so I feel more comfortable, but we don't talk on facebook (no reason to we have email and phones!) and we don't make a couple pic our profile pic. Even after it's offical I think I'll wait.
    Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Dude. I just typed a message and then it disappeared. WTH?

Anyway, I think it was something like this:

I like posting on the SA board, it's a smaller group of gals and so I feel like I know you all! Plus, it's easier to keep up with each others stories, trials, tribulations and of course excitement!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:0ceec4b6-c25c-4b33-bf35-9830bf522e84Post:25cd9362-80bd-43db-b930-28c87424879d">Re: Facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Dude. I just typed a message and then it disappeared. WTH?</strong> Anyway, I think it was something like this: I like posting on the SA board, it's a smaller group of gals and so I feel like I know you all! <strong>Plus, it's easier to keep up with each others stories, trials, tribulations and of course excitemen</strong>t!
    Posted by raangoli[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about FB message?? If so, It happens to me too!

Couldn't agree with you more!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards