June 2012 Weddings

White Towels?

This isn't really wedding related except that I'm trying to decide what to put on my registry for towels.

We currently are using FI's towels from college, they are white with black stripes at the bottom.  They're alright, but from college & my not trusting our washing machine to put bleach in it, they've gotten gross looking.  Originally we registered for some Martha Stewart towels in a variety of bright blue shades.  Then we read the reviews that they were terrible, so we switched to the Hotel Collection at Macy's.  These are what our current towels are, except we registered in their shades of blue, which seem a little drab to me.  I really don't even like them. 

I love the look of clean white towels, and they do fit our current bathroom scheme better.  We're planning on buying a new washer/dryer soon after the wedding, so my question is - do you think white towels are hard to keep white?  I'm hoping that if I can bleach them in a good washing machine that they'll STAY white, but I don't really have any experience with this.  My parents and FI's parents both have colored towels, so I have noone to ask!  TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: White Towels?

• Bah I would be uncomfortable getting white ones personally. But bleach also scares me..I have no idea how to use it haha. If you were okay with that I think you'd probably be fine.
    June 16, 2012
  • My mom has always told me to never buy white towels unless they will be used strictly for decoration. They get grimey looking so fast!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bleach is so hard, idk. I avoid white things.  We registered for brown linen and blue colors because they go with our bathroom theme.  (Basically be have a bath mat in those colors...ha!) Honestly I just wouldn't want to worry about keeping them looking clean.
  • I'm not a fan of white ANYTHING but if you do get them-make sure you only ever wash them with white things. No greys, no light colors. Only whites.

We have light blue (from a variety of designers) and most of them got dingy and worn looking, especially in the middle of the towel. We have dark grey and forrest green as well and those held up much better.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_white-towels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:c81de166-6d31-4de8-8534-4f250858ffdbPost:f6dd0faa-71e8-46ef-87b2-5920cee30c4a">Re: White Towels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bah I would be uncomfortable getting white ones personally. But bleach also scares me..I have no idea how to use it haha. If you were okay with that I think you'd probably be fine.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

This. Also, if you get white ones, check the tag because a lot of them there days say not to bleach them.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I got vanilla colored towels from BBB they look like a darker cream. We have a picture in our bathroom that's from IKEA and it's a close up of two pink flowers and has some green it in. We did pink, green, and vanilla for towels.
  • Personally, I wouldn't get white; it makes me nervous. I would have them marked with makeup in no time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We also registered for the Hotel Collection and the colors we chose are Cameo (its like a cream), Juniper (grayish green), Pumice (light gray) and Seaglass (light blue). I liked the way the all look together.

We also have White Martha Stewart towels that honestly look like garbage after about 6 months; they're only kept in our master bath so noone sees them. I do bleach them, but it doesn't seem to help much.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was really leery about getting white towels when we moved into our place, but we bought the really nice, expensive Hotel Collection ones and we've had them for more than 2 years now and they still look pretty good.  I have never bleached them and I get makeup on them all the time.  I think with a good washing machine, and if you get good quality towels, you can keep them quite white without bleaching....

That being said, if you are planning on having kids soon, white towels are probably never a good idea...

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have a few random white towels, but they do look pretty shabby, I wouldn't buy more. I registered for these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?BRN=1&SKU=119100&RN=0 because the stuff I use to wash my face leaves bleach looking spots on my towels now. They come in white.
  • Personally, I couldn't ever get white towels for how gross they can get so quickly.  Even with knowing how to use bleach and other cleaning stuff on them they are never really white for long.
  • edited February 2012
    I ONLY use white towels. My face stuff bleaches everything, so it'd be a waste of anything else. I don't think my white towels get nasty and quicker than any other towels. I actually think they last longer because you can bleach them if necessary (although I never do). Some good ole Tide always does the trick for me!

ETA: I think it also depends on if you get good quality towels. We have some Pottery Barn hand towels and registered for all of our other towels from there and we don't have a problem with them at all...and I RARELY separate clothes into all white and colored. Most of the time I just wash what's dirty.
  • I have white sheets, and that is it.

I work at a hotel, and it is a pain in the butt to keep the towels white. I would never buy white towels. I would go with your accent color instead.

The Thomas O'Brian towels at Target are awesome! I love them. They are reasonably priced too, for good ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies!  The problem is white IS our accent color.  We're currently living in my Grandma's house while they try to clean it out to get it sold, and we're thinking of buying it.  She has this beautiful colored periwinkle bathroom, with all white cabinets/counters.  I really like the way the white towels look in it now, if only they were clean!  It's impossible to find towels in the periwinkle color, its a really bright, hard to describe color.  Also FI's face products also bleach towels; I should have mentioned that before.  I might still use our old ones for washing my face at night (makeup) and dyeing my hair so I don't ruin anything new.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I vote white towels!!!! I'm biased, but out bathroo is blue too and I love our white towels in there. They really pop. Just by nice towels and you won't have a problem. All other towels have to worry about fading and bleeding all over your other clothes. And I'm sure your FI would accidentally use the wrong towel and the. It's be ruined and a total waste.
  • We opted for pale blue, sage green, tan, and a few white ones.  Our bathroom color scheme is blues, greens, whites, and browns.

• I wouldn't get white towels. For the longest time we had always used colored towels and wash clothes. My FI has white towels and one day I cut myself shaving. I didn't realize it until I was drying off. The towel I used is still stained from it. Just recently my mom started to use white dish wash clothes. They do not stay white. No matter how much bleach or how good your dishwasher is... eventually the stains if any will remain.
    Gary & I camping... We love camping... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having the hardest time with anything bathroom related! I have already changed out everything bathroom related in our registry and just looked at it for the first time in a month and realized I didn't like this either. Ugh.

Good luck!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Never. We regustered for pink, green, for one bathroom. And blue and brown for another.
  • We are doing some white towels. We registered for brown towels and some white towels with a matching brown trim. I've had white towels in the past and haven't had any problems. Like PP, I just recommend not getting cheap white towels
  • I'm not a white towel fan but I'm not a white cloth fan in general, we registered for blue, brown, and gray towels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards