New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Little Kids in the Wedding??

So here is my issue:

I have 3 nieces - 12, 8, 6.   The 11 year old is my God Daughter.

They have been very involved and excited about our wedding and I would like to have them a part of it.  The 11 year old as a junior bridesmaid and the others maybe passing out programs or something. 
HOWEVER
My fiance has a neice 2yrs and nephew 4 yrs.  I feel they are too young to be a part of the wedding and my fiance feels the same.  They are also very shy and uncooperative (as most kids that age are).  The issue is I dont want my future sister-in-law getting  upset because I am having my neices in the wedding and not her kids. 

Not sure how to approach this or what to do to avoid hurt feelings!!

Re: Little Kids in the Wedding??

• Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had four children in my wedding....flower girls ages 8 and 6 and ring bearers (who are my nephews) ages 5 and 2.5.  All were wonderful and so well behaved.  The priest kept advising me against it but i was adament and turned out, i was right.

I think you have to go with your gut and base it on the children.  I knew all "my" kids would be fine. 

I would at the very least open a dialogue with your SIL...or have your fiance talk to her or the husband (not sure which one he is related to).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my younger counsin and FI's cousin be a part, they are both 8 and 7 girls. Our nephew who will be 2.5 is our ring bearer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends more on the individual child. Personally I wouldnt want a lot of kids in my wedding (I had 1 RB) and kids weren't invited to the reception either. My nephew the RB who was 3 could not make it down the aisle - it was hilarious really, but he held onto the back of my sister (his moms) dress walking down behind her and then when he got to the front he tried to make my mom go back with him to exit and then his dad had to take him down a side aisle crying as I walked down the center with my dad. I have seen other 3 yr old do just fine. But if you already have enough you don't need to have more just to keep from someones feeling being hurt if that is the issue
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's your wedding. You and FI decide.

The children could be well behaved angels... or not.

You both need to decide if you want to "risk" a not-so-well behaved child.

I have only one niece and knew that she would be the bestest flower girl ever!!! But at the rehearsal she started to cry. so we had her walk down the aisle holding her mommy's hand.

It worked well. My sister was my matron of honor anyway,i just thought it would be cute if my niece could hold her daddy's hand (think of the photo ops!) but as it turned out, she started to cry, so holding her mom's hand was best. It didn't look odd. Just adorable! But not everyone's kid-layout can be so seamless.

However, what does your FI think. They are after all his sister's kids. And because all of YOUR nieces are GIRLS. It's OK that YOU decide on who will be YOUR attendants. (They are children, yes, but hopefully you get the idea)

As long as he is ok with them not being in the wedding, it's his issue to discuss (or not even mention) to his sister.

Are the kids being invited to the wedding at all? (They could al be ring / flower children and walk down the aisle with their mom if thats' something that you would be ok with)

But again, it's your wedding. You call the shots.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my 7 year old niece and my 18 month old niece and 4 year old nephew.  However, I went into it with the attitude of "if they make it down the aisle, great, if not, it's not the end of the world."

The 7 year old, of course did great.  My 4 yr old nephew did not do well for the rehearsal or the photos (pre-wedding).  However, he did make it down the aisle for the wedding, full on sprint - and it was hysterical. One of my favorite photos is of him caught running mid-air by the photog.  So cute.  The 18 month old never made it down the aisle, and it was really no big deal.

If there is anything I learned, it's don't stress over the small stuff, and don't try to please everyone.  Otherwise, you'll go nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards