Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

To have or not have a cantor?

I'm having a Catholic wedding in New Orleans and am on a limited budget.I love the sound of a violin and cello but the music coordinator said if we have a cantor singer we would also have to have a piano.so all of that would cost 1000 instead of just the 500 for the violin and cello duet like i wanted. Is it really necessary to have a cantor?

Re: To have or not have a cantor?

• Options
    I'd skip the cantor if the church will allow you to. I know some churches require a cantor that is familiar with the ins and outs of the Mass, but I also know that Catholic churches in NOLA tend to be a little more accommodating of bride's preferences than other cities.  Are you saying the music director said you must have a cantor and also a piano?  Or are you saying if you elect to have a cantor then you must also have a piano?  If it's the first one, I don't think you've got a choice in the matter except to cut the cello and violin to save $. 
  • Options

It was the music director (hired outside the church) that said if we have a cantor we have to also have a piano.  The church itself does not require a cantor.  I can't fathom spending $500 for someone to sing 3 songs.  2 of my friends didn't have them and I didn't even notice.  Someone just read the responsorial and everything else was instrumental.

• Options
    If you have music otherwise, you really should have someone sing the psalm and lead the sung mass parts.

Only your church/priest/music director can tell you if they will require it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards