Christian Weddings

I don't know if I can do this....

Fi is going into full time ministry, I'm starting to realize what all that is going to asked of us and I'm feeling really down. I just don't know if I can do this. I'm  6weeks away and I'm starting to doubt. This is not good.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: I don't know if I can do this....

• GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww, sorry to hear!  What specifically is getting you down?  Is it the feeling of always have to be a role model?  The demands made by a parish?  Uncertain income?  

It must be scary thinking of all of those challenges, and part of it is probably because it's new.  It's okay to be plagued by doubts sometimes.  I mean, even the apostles doubted.  Eventually, the doubts were overcome.

A hunch tells me that you'll find infinite rewards, and it will all be worth it.  My favorite quote from the Bible is, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."  God will definitely do everything He can to help you guys succeed in the ministry and carry out his Word.
  • edited December 2011
    oohh...i bet that it feels like this now. But it won't always. 

you are a strong and courageous young woman of God...and you have a Father who absolutely ADORES you and will strengthen you along the way!

i will be praying for you! 
  • edited December 2011
    I told Fi how I was feeling and he quoted the King's Speech when the Queen Mum tells Bertie she didn't want to marry him because being royal meant her life would not be her own. i think that and I'm just on very emotional right now.
  • edited December 2011
    I hope this isn't too personal, but did you happen to just start or change birth control methods?  I know some of us were talking about starting or changing BC before our respective weddings.  That could affect your emotions.

As far as wondering if you can do this, I wondered that before I started college, before I started every job I've ever had, before I started planning my wedding, before I started signing paperwork to buy my house...  That's normal.  Pray about it and try to determine God's will for your life.  You can do all things through Christ!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel.  Exactly.  Your FI is going to seminary for a few years, right?  Use that time to get plugged in with a group of ladies who also know exactly how you feel.  I have several friends at that school right now...I'll see if they know of any existing groups so you know what to look for when y'all get there. 

The thought of being a pastor's wife is scary for me, as well.  I know there will be times when his phone rings at 2am and we'll both have to go take care of something, or he'll have to leave and I'll be at the house by myself.  I know birthday parties, holiday plans, and life in general will be interupted.  I know that the church will expect more from him (and me) than either of us even thought about doing.  It's not fun to think about, but I know that God brought us together, this is what God has called FI to do, and I am trusting him to lead us closer to Christ as the spiritual leader.  It would be worse for both of us if he was going against God's will.  We'll end up in Ninevah one way or another...personally I don't want to spend 3 days in a fish's belly to get there. 

I've also joined www.pastorswivesonline.com They're an amazing group of ladies.  There's also www.clutchtalk.blogspot.com, which is a blog for young ministry wives.

I'm praying for you.  If you need anything, PM me or get me on FB. 

~Emily
  • edited December 2011
    Looks like Emily has some great resources- that's wonderful! Everyone is right- you can do all things through Him! Try to look at it as an awesome opportunity to become closer to the Lord and serve him. Pray about it and I will pray for you too! 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all ladies. Emily I will definitely check those websites out. I think what happened is that it finally hit me that everything is actually happening. I have been engaged for almost 9months and it finally hit me. It wasn't from any hormones, I just someone finally realizing that in 6weeks, my life will be forever changed.
  • edited December 2011
    As a pastor's kid and a seminary graduate myself, I want to encourage you to go for it and let God work out the details. One of the most important things for you guys to do as a couple is to set your BOUNDARIES! You have to know when to say NO to the demands people will put on you and your husband and your children too. For example, my dad always took Mondays off. That was his day to relax and unwind and do things for himself. If people in the church wanted him to do something on Monday, he would say, "I'm sorry, but I'll have to schedule that another day - perhaps Tuesday?" He made it a priority to give himself space from ministry - if you and your husband don't set your boundaries, church members will run all over you (not intentionally, but that's just what ends up happening). Your priorities should be God first, then family/self second, then the church. You can't serve others if your'e not taking care of yourself. So make sure the two of you sit down and talk about your boundaries as a couple b/c you will need time for each other and for yourselves.

Blessings to you both!

P.S. When you have children someday (I'm assuming that's your plan), then also make it a priority to attend their events as much as possible. My parents (especially my dad) always made sure to attend my band concerts, softball games, etc., even if he had to re-schedule something with the church. Not only is it important for the family relationships, but it's also good as a role model - a Godly man will make his family a priority and other church members will follow suit!
    Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_dont-can-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:5d81c8cc-02b1-450e-af78-2b6251f7dd61Post:d3c2538d-4715-4f0e-9527-cf1facb702bf">Re: I don't know if I can do this....</a>:
    [QUOTE]oohh...i bet that it feels like this now. But it won't always.  you are a strong and courageous young woman of God...and you have a Father who absolutely ADORES you and will strengthen you along the way! i will be praying for you! 
    Posted by amongthelilies25[/QUOTE]

THIS exactly :)
  • edited December 2011
    I understand how you feel! But remember the verse "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". Go into everything with the mindset (even little simple things like starting a car) that only Christ can deliver us into true peace and sucess. God will work everything out!! :) Praying for you!
    Photobucket My perfect dress! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can I be your personal cheerleader? Because I think you can do it. Not in your own strength, but through His strength. I have faith in you, but most importantly, God has faith in you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all soo much! You ladies are so wonderful. Perkins81, I'm when I marry FI I will be a 3rd generation pastor's wife. I hated being a PK but at 17 I felt the Lord leading me to being a minister's wife. It's a very scary and exciting chapter. It's crazy because just these waves of emotions keep hitting me. This marriage season of life is bittersweet
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards