Wedding Party
Options

Wedding party spouses?

3 people in our wedding party are married but their SOs will not be in our wedding. 2 of the couples are from a different county so it's not logical for them to take two cars. We're doing a sweetheart table for us so everyone can site with their families. But what about during the other times when the bridal party is getting ready, what do the SO's do? Do they hang out where their SOs are or do they hang out with the bridal party of the same sex (ex the husband not in the wedding go with the groom)?

Re: Wedding party spouses?

• Options
    In that situation when I've been in it (FI was the best man), I was at their apartment the morning when the guys were all getting ready, then they left by limo.  Some of the other girlfriends and a HS friend of the groom all rode together to the wedding, but left after the wedding party.  Then in between the ceremony and reception we stopped by a bar to grab a beer.  It wasn't really planned out until the night before at the RD. 
    Do those SO's know other people at the wedding?  Are you springing for a limo for the WP (or even some of the WP carpooling together), and then the SO will have the car?  If those WP and their SO are staying in a hotel, the SO can hang out there beforehand.

• Options
    Quite honestly, it's not up to you to decide or plan this.
    The one exception is if you are getting a limo or party bus. I would HIGHLY suggest to get one large enough to include SO's. It's a small thing you can do to help make sure everyone has a good time, versus the SO's feeling excluded.

Otherwise, most couples can just figure out what to do on their own. I've dropped DH off at wherever the guys are getting ready if he's a GM...vice versa...he's dropped me off at the salon when I'm a BM and we meet up after the ceremony/WP duties are over.
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  when I'm in a wedding FI makes his own plans to get there and I try to car pool with the other BMs.  For OOT weddings I just leave him at the hotel.  honestly he would rather be there than hanging out with people he barely knows or getting ready with the girls. 

for our wedding, I have 2 OOT BMs.  I'm not making plans for their SO as I assume they will stay in the room during get ready time and then be at the cocktail hour during picture time.  with that though, if they asked to stay with us during either of those times, I would never say no. 
  • Options
    Last wedding FI was in, I dropped him off, went to the mall, hung out at the hotel, and carpooled to the wedding with friends b/c he went in the limo.

For our wedding, SOs will be either driving to the reception and meeting us there or carpooling with people
  • Options
    They got married, not lost their brains.  I'm sure they've encountered the "how do we handle getting some place separately from each other at different times" in all their time together.  Relax.
  • Options
    Luckily, H has only been in weddings where I have known the other wives whose husbands were in the WP very well, and we just hang out/drink the morning of before getting ready.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-spouses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:dfc8e0b9-8c12-4fb5-ac7f-f1e759f3a663Post:119a3be1-4587-4532-8c7d-10feee2287df">Wedding party spouses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]3 people in our wedding party are married but their SOs will not be in our wedding. 2 of the couples are from a different county so it's not logical for them to take two cars. We're doing a sweetheart table for us so everyone can site with their families. But what about during the other times when the bridal party is getting ready, <strong><font color="#0000ff">what do the SO's do?</font></strong> Do they hang out where their SOs are or do they hang out with the bridal party of the same sex (ex the husband not in the wedding go with the groom)?
    Posted by lilfaeriebrat[/QUOTE]

They're all adults, they'll figure it out.  You may now fret about something else.
  • Options

I have been in this situation a few times, even in OOT weddings where I didnt know anyone and it is no big deal. DF made the point to introduce me to the wife of the other groomsman at the rehearsal dinner since I didnt really know anyone (and vice versa when I was a bridesmaid). We jokingly called ourselves the WAGs (wives and girlfriends) and ended up sitting together at the ceremony whilst the boys were busy and chatting during cocktail hour while they were taking photos.

We're all adults and can chitchat, but it was very nice to have one familiar face and someone to sit with during the ceremony. In one instance, one of the wives ended up becoming one of my good friends!

Don't worry- I'm sure your wedding will be great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards