Honeymoon Discussions

Bora Bora - where to stay?

My FI and I are strongly considering Bora Bora and we were wondering if anyone here could answer some questions for us.  We are trying to understand the pro’s and cons of staying on the Motu vs. the island itself.  We would like to stay in an overwater bungalow so we could snorkel, where would the corals and fish be better?  Also, we would like to do excursions and visit various restaurants in the evenings.  How challenging is it to go back and forth between the Motu and the island?
Also, is it typical for the over water bungalows to have glass floors, we saw it mentioned for Le Meridien but nowhere else.

If anyone knows of websites that could provide more information we would defiantly appreciate it!
Thanks
Janie

Re: Bora Bora - where to stay?

• We went for our honeymoon to Bora Bora and stayed at a motu (intercontinental Thalasso Bora Bora). I loved the Thalasso and for the most part enjoyed being in a motu, as it feels more secluded. However, it is a bit of a hassle when we need things or have activities on the main island. We stayed in Bora Bora for 6 days/5 nights and ended up going to the main island 4 times during our stay (first one was for going to the market, second time for our activities - land cruise, 3rd time for dinner on one of the nights, and 4th time for lunch the last day).

It wasn't too bad because the Thalasso has free shuttle to their sister property the Le Moana, so we didn't have to pay extra to go to the main island. I think the Four Seasons charge quite a bit for round trip to the main island. Not sure about the St. Regis or Le Meridien. I think I read somewhere that St. Regis also has free shuttle to the main island?

Most overwater bungalows have glass floors. Ours at the Thalasso did as well.

The snorkeling at Thalasso was pretty weak. I didn't really see anything, but it wasn't a strong consideration for us. I think on the main island side it might be better? 

So I guess generally it is more convenient to stay on the main island, but we didn't mind staying in the motu. Most of the "nicer" resorts are on the motu (St Regis, Thalasso, Four Seasons, Le Meridien), so not sure if you are particular on which hotels to stay at. Either way you'll have a great time.

Jells2dot0 would have some great insights as well since she's been there many times :)

• Have you considered spending some time in Moorea too?  We are going this fall and are splitting our time between Moorea and Bora Bora.  I've heard snorkeling is better in Moorea.

• msaputra:  I found your blog from another post here on the knot.... It's actually extremely helpful :o)
    JoanE2012:  yes, we are considering spending time in Moorea first, and will definatly be doing some activities there.  I just really like the idea of being able to snorkel out of the hotel room.  Which hotel did you decide on in Bora Bora?

• Oh great. I'm glad it helped :) Let me know if you have any other questions!<div>Which hotel are you considering? And yes I also recommend spending some time in Moorea as well.</div><div>
    [QUOTE]msaputra :  I found your blog from another post here on the knot.... It's actually extremely helpful :o)
    Posted by Janxo[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • We are staying at the Hilton on both islands.
  • We just got back yesterday and stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora.  The service was OUTSTANDING and we loved every minute of it.  The views were amazing and the beach was great.  Another perk of our hotel that not all have, is a free boat taxi to and from the main island. 

Just a caviat to Bora Bora...do NOT book Air Tahiti Nui if at all possible.  I had the warning that they go on strike randomly before we left.  Unluckily for us, they went on strike the night before our flight, so rather than taking the easy 8 1/2 hour flight from Tahiti to LAX, we had to fly from Tahiti, to New Zealand, to Australia, and then to LAX.  8 1/2 hours was turned into 44 hours of travel time.  Not to mention, Air Tahiti Nui had the smallest, cramped plane out of all of the airlines we flew that week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_bora-bora-where-to-stay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:53bb7a38-4dbb-4371-bd21-31681827c149Post:df818b9c-1924-4e1e-b981-27b53eaf074a">Re: Bora Bora - where to stay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just got back yesterday and stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora.  The service was OUTSTANDING and we loved every minute of it.  The views were amazing and the beach was great.  Another perk of our hotel that not all have, is a free boat taxi to and from the main island.  Just a caviat to Bora Bora...do NOT book Air Tahiti Nui if at all possible. <strong> I had the warning that they go on strike randomly before we left</strong>.  Unluckily for us, they went on strike the night before our flight, so rather than taking the easy 8 1/2 hour flight from Tahiti to LAX, we had to fly from Tahiti, to New Zealand, to Australia, and then to LAX.  8 1/2 hours was turned into 44 hours of travel time.  Not to mention, Air Tahiti Nui had the smallest, cramped plane out of all of the airlines we flew that week.
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

Wow!  I didn't know this.  We are already booked on this airline.  I looked on Expedia, and it is the only nonstop flight from LAX and is the cheapest.  The next airline is literally double the price (and with a stop).  Even if I didn't already book, I probably still would've taken my chances just because of the cost alone.  Fingers crossed!
  • I am really excited, we are talking to travel agents and I just can't wait.  Forget the wedding, I just want to go on my honeymoon now!!! Smile

Anyway, we are doing 5 nights Moorea (hilton or sofitel) and 5 nights Bora Bora, most likely the intercontinental.

msaputra:  once you rarrive at Le Moana is it a long walk to restaurants, activities, shops, etc... or do you need to still take a taxi?
    thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards