Ohio-Northeast

Outdoor Ceremony Spaces in Youngstown Area

Does anyone know any outdoor ceremony spaces in the youngstown area that are NOT Mill Creek Park or Julia's Bed and Breakfast?! I have searched low an high and all over this site and have not found any ideas. Also Boardman Park is out of the question as they are not available on my date. August 3rd 2013.

Re: Outdoor Ceremony Spaces in Youngstown Area

• The only places I honeslty know of are in Mill Creek Park - Rose Garden, Slippery Rock.

What about Firestone Park in Columbiana? The only bad thing about that is that I believe you cannot reserve or book until the year of, so that may make planning more difficult.

Are there any other parks? I've done several google searches myself, and the results have really come up short.

I hope you're able to find something you like! I can try to continue to search to see if I can find anything else that may help you, but I really struggled when I was searching for myself (we settled on Slippery Rock in Mill Creek).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jmayincjmayinc member
    First Comment
    I was hoping someone else had, had some luck with it lol The Rose Gardens your guests have to stand because you can't put chairs on the lawn. My wedding is in August, with all the kids and older folk people would be passing out 0_0.

Julia's Bed and Breakfast is in Hubbard. It's 500 to rent the place and oyu get 25 chairs lol so for 100 people thats 187.50 additional. I also heard they nickel and dime you.

Boardman park is taken

The Slippery Rock Im not sure what it looks like, but I have to wait until August to reserve it.
    and Firestone Park is a bit far from the reception area we are thinking of, but I would have considered it if I didn't have to wait until Jan. 1st of 2013 to rent it! You have to wait until the year you are reserving it for, to reserve it. That's cutting it close that if that doesn't work out Im kind of up a creek without a paddle on options.

There is seriously nowhere else I have seen, other than Buhl Park in Sharon which is 1,000. Just a bit more than I want to spend lol If you find anything or hear anything from someone, let me know.
  • Yeah, I can honestly say that I had a lot of difficulty myself. I hadn't even considered Boardman Park - I've only been living in the area for a couple of years, so I still don't really know all of the places available.

That was our issue with The Rose Gardens as well; additionally it won't accomodate our expected guest count (and I really don't want to worry about rain).

That's one of the things I really didn't like about Firestone Park - though it's only a few minutes from me. But the tought of not being able to reserve it until the beginning of that year...

I would at least take a look at Slippery Rock. I have a few pictures that I've taken of it. I guess it depends on the look that you are looking for. FI and I reserved Slippery Rock for a day and a half - Half a day the day before (rehearsal and rehearsal dinner - we're doing a cook out right there!) and the full day of so that we can do whatever kind of set up we need to do early in the morning.

For non-resident for the day and a half, we paid $185 which is still $15 cheaper than the 2 hours we would have been alotted for the Rose Garens, so I feel like we really saved there.

Slippery Rock accomodates 150 people. They do have benches - green, but we are planning on getting a white cover for them. If you are okay with benches, either covered or non-covered, they are free (and with plenty of room for your guests)! There are a couple of spots that may be considered an 'eye sore' - doors towards one end (kitchen area) and a couple of small grills; but depending on the look you are going for; these may be okay.

For the doors we are planning on setting up something there that'll take the focus off them; the grills may just have to be and may be okay with the rustic look.

It does suck to have to wait until a year to date for reserving; we just reserved our spots Thursday and Friday! It made me really anxious, but it worked out.

One of the things that I like about the idea of Slippery Rock - it'll provide shade from the sun & and provide protection if it rains. Just a thought.

Not that I'm trying to push Slippery Rock on you! I just think that it may provide a good option with seating, cost and protection from different types of weather possibilities. If you want, I can show you some of the pictures I had taken to see if it is something you might want to consider.

I'm still working on my google search lol maybe different words need to be used?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jmayincjmayinc member
    First Comment
    I will definitely check out slippery rock and give it a look over. That's an awesome idea to have the rehearsal dinner right there. I was looking for an outdoor garden summer theme...slippery rock may work lol Ill have to see it. Where are you getting white covers? lol I have no clue where I'd get them. I have only been out here a few years as well, I have asked everyone I know. Maybe Ill throw some white sheets over em LOL!
  • edited May 2012
    Slippery Rock is more woodsey, but I think could probably bring an outdoor summer garden eliment to it.

We ended up deciding on the rehearsal dinner to be there since we figured we were reserving it for the rehearsal, we might as well get full use of it! We were planning to do a cookout for our dinner anyhow, so it just really worked out; they do have a kitchen there (I guess - I haven't seen it, but there are 3 doors & I believe one leads to a small kitchen).

LOL we haven't quite worked out the white covers yet. I have to get up there and measure the benches, but we're thinking something to just cover the top and then tie over the edge.

We're getting married there Memorial weekend next year, so if you do end up going there, I can totally send you the covers to be re-used! We won't have another use for them, so might as well give them to someone to who could use them!

I hope you're able to find other options! It's tough! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jmayincjmayinc member
    First Comment
    Thanks for the thought! If I haven't found anything different or foiund covers of my own, Ill definitely be looking out for you in the classifieds lol Good luck with your planning!
  • We are having our recption at the B&O Station in Youngstown.  There is a park in the same area with a deck over looking the river  (it is a city park but B&O provideds the electricity  so pretty much controls it) we had considered using it but decided to go to a church instead.  Canfield also has a beautiful gazebo on their village green - you may try contacting them about  using it for a wedding. 
    Avion on the Water is a reception/ceremony location - here are some pics I found of a wedding there.  Also in the pics is Poland Library (which is a gorgeous location...don't know if they allow ceremonies to take place there or not?)
    http://brightsideblog.net/?p=1539
    Good Luck!
  • jmayincjmayinc member
    First Comment
    Avion on the water was booked for my wedding. Do you know what the park is that B&O provides electricity for? I was worried about catering being expensive if I were to go with the B&O for the reception. Ill have to call the Poland Library to see, there's not much info online. As well as Canfield village green.
  • Sorry I do not know the name of the park, but I would contact the B&O for informtaion about it.  B&O let's you use pretty much any caterer you want.  We are using Smoke'n Pit BBQ for our reception.  They are very reasonably proced and the food is delicious!
    Good luck with your search :-)
  • jmayincjmayinc member
    First Comment
    I have a little information on the B&O I believe it's about 1100 to rent the space or something like that. Im starting to panic and think I dont have enough time to research the 1100 and the pricing for a caterer versus choosing an option available for the reception. There are only 4 spaces avail on our date. One is way out of budget, one looks too hall-ish (which Im not against, just not what we want), another clashes with my colors a touch and is on the high end of our budget, and the 4th is on the low end of the budget, but the venue reflects it lol All the venues are polar opposites. Maybe Ill research caterers a bit or call the B&O & even see if my date is avail. If anything the name of the park, thanks for the tip about the park though. I just hope they answer because I don't have good luck with them answering. It took a week for me to get someone to have them mail me a bit of info before.
  • Have you had any luck with B&O? Any other locations?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • THe B&O is not available for my date unfortunately. And their outdoor location they do not rent out because "the person having the reception will PROBABLY use it" =[
  • Sorry to hear that! :(

Have you had any luck finding anything else?

I really hope you are able to find something that works out very nicely for you and your FI. Maybe this is all just leading up to you finding the perfect place.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haven't had much more luck. I have limited options and the options don't work for us...and I dont want to but we may have to settle =[ or pay the price lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards