Catholic Weddings

Proper way to address Catholic deacon and wife?

We are inviting a Catholic deacon and his wife to our wedding.  I've found mixed results online for the proper way to address the invitation to them.  Are they simply addressed as Mr. and Mrs. John Doe?

Re: Proper way to address Catholic deacon and wife?

• edited December 2011
    It should read: Rev. Mr. and Mrs. First and Last name of Deacon here
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    There are two types of deacons in the Church: transitional deacon, which is a celibate man ordained a deacon and intends to move forward into the priesthood, and a permanent deacon, a celibate man ordained a deacon only for the diaconate, as in with no intention to go into the priesthood.  In your case, your deacon is a permanent deacon.

I agree with you, there's some variation between dioceses so I'm also not sure who is the correct source.  But it seems this is most commonly agreed on in most dioceses:

Transitional deacon
    Outer envelope
    Reverend Mr. First and Last Name
    Inner envelope
    Deacon First and Last Name

Permanent deacon
    Outer envelope
    Inner envelope
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The uncle  of the bride was a married deacon of the church who did the marriage ceremony and the mass was done by the pastor of the church.

The invitation was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. William X. Smith

Inner envelope was Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

This is the uncle's second career after practicing law for 35 years and I never thought to address him otherwise.

Invitation to the pastor was Reverand.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_proper-way-address-catholic-deacon-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:9a7d9b36-13d5-4e22-9b7a-2dee5dff2a67Post:c6cec200-7dfc-4e52-a437-d2b926aba78a">Re: Proper way to address Catholic deacon and wife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The uncle  of the bride was a married deacon of the church who did the marriage ceremony and the mass was done by the pastor of the church. <strong>The invitation was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. William X. Smith Inner envelope was Mr. and Mrs. Smith.</strong>
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

<div>It is acceptable to address a permanent deacon as "Mr."  But I personally think "Deacon" is more reverent.</div><div>
    </div><div>Deacons are not an "almost priest" and not quite a layperson.  The diaconate is one of the three sacred orders which make up the threefold ministry of the ecclesial hierarchy.  They witness to the vocation of the layperson and they also serve Christ in a very special way since they receive the Sacrament of Holy Orders.  Having this very special role in the Church, we should treat them as such.</div><div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;" class="Apple-style-span">"The sacrament of Holy Orders marks them with an imprint ("character") which cannot be removed and which configures them to Christ, who made himself the "deacon" or servant of all  Among other tasks, it is the task of deacons to assist the bishop and priests in the celebration of the divine mysteries, above all the Eucharist, in the distribution of Holy Communion, in assisting at and blessing marriages, in the proclamation of the Gospel and preaching, in presiding over funerals, and in dedicating themselves to the various ministries of charity. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, n. 1570)"</span></div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards