Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Help with music - harp and string quartet...

Hi..am hoping I can get some advice with this one.  I found 4 students from a music college in a string quartet to play for the ceremony.  The idea initially was that they would play with my aunt who is a classically trained singer and do the rest of the service.    I had also contacted a harpist which seemed like a really cool idea too, but she couldn't play with my Aunt.  This was all of my budget for the music, and more than I had really thought about spending to be honest. 

What I didn't realize was that both of them seem to want to play the entire ceremony by themselves and it is way too expensive to get the quartet to rehearse 2 songs with my aunt.   So now it seems as if I am going to have 2 different musical groups at the wedding, which is okay I guess. 

However, now I am trying to figure out how to coordinate them at the ceremony.  I could use  a little advice on that, but the bigger question is should I just have one (the harpist) play at the ceremony and the string quartet play at the cocktail hour?

I feel like by hiring both I have just overly complicated my wedding and am not sure what to do.  

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Re: Help with music - harp and string quartet...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a harpist for my ceremony, and budget-wise, it won't be worth it for her to only play half the ceremony. So I recommend not complicating the ceremony with the harpist and the quartet.

I would stick with one for the entire ceremony and one for the cocktail hour. I don't think that would be unusual.

Also, would it possibly for your aunt to sing along with a instrumental recording? I saw that at wedding I went to recently, and it sounded fine.
  • Options
    handmichellehandmichelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah i think that makes the most sense.  i wasn't sure what to do and was really stressing out about it.  i think that what you said makes the most sense.  thanks for your feedback!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards