Latino Weddings

Anyone getting married in Latin America and having "just" a civil wedding?

My fiance and I are getting married in Peru.  He is Peruvian and I am Canadian.  Neither of us is Catholic and so we have chosen not to have the religiious wedding in the church.  Here in Peru, and I think all over Latin America, there is the custom of having a smaller, more informal civil wedding performed by a judge, and then a lavish church wedding.  I am getting so frustrated because for me, as a North American, one wedding is the norm, and is special wherever it takes place, whether its in a church, on the beach, in a park, etc.  I keep getting comments from everyone like "Oh, its just a civil wedding?  Well then you don't need a veil/wedding gown/bouquet/bridesmaids/etc. etc."  It seems like nobody thinks our wedding is very important because its not a religious wedding!  For us, its our only wedding and we want it to be special, so we are including all those things.  But it bothers me that others make those comments, and I never know how to respond.  Anybody else in the same situation??  Sorry, just felt like venting! Smile

Re: Anyone getting married in Latin America and having "just" a civil wedding?

• Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I know what you mean. I hate the idea of having to have "seperate" weddings and ceremonies. We still have some things to work out about the religious ceremony and we just might have to have only a civil one. Anyway I could care less what people say about my civil wedding. I know most people go to city hall but you can hire a judge to go to your location for a reason... to have a full ceremony! I'm sure people are just saying that because no one really pays attention to other people's civil weddings. That's just something you do with your FI and witnesses. Sometimes parents. Lol that's how unimportant people see it. It's more like a legal matter than a wedding/ ceremony to them. But oh well. Tell them all to stick it :-P We just might be doing the same thing in the end so no worries girl! :)
  • edited December 2011
    So good to know someone understands!  We are paying extra for the judge to go to our ceremony location...no 5 minute ceremony in the municipal hall for us, haha!   What are the issues you're having with your religious wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Central America and you're right...it seems like the first question from everybody is "are you getting married by church?" Which we are having a religious ceremony, but since I belong to a non-denominational Christian church (not Catholic), half of the guests don't consider it religious anyways. They flat out tell me only Catholic ceremonies are considered religious, and that what we are doing is the same as a civil ceremony to them. It's okay, whatever to me.  
    Anyways, I went to a friend's wedding here that had the judge drive to their outdoor beach wedding and it all worked out great, everyone had a great time at the ceremony and reception. Sometimes, it's just the difference in cultures and traditions that make it hard for them to grasps. I have a few people that keep telling me I have to do plan details certain ways, and I just tell them I'm having an intercultural wedding. Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi i totally understand what you are going through. my fiance and i are getting married in may and cant be married in a church because he is still waiting for the annulment of his first marriage. and we are planning something small and just close family.
    When i first knew that i was very dissapointed because i wanted to have a traditional wedding with flowers, a reception, a nice dress, but now i felt downgraded.
    After that i realize that no matter how we get married or where, with or without flowers, etc. the most important thing is that im marrying the love of my life, the rest is just extra. so it doesnt matter anymore. Im 40 yrs.old happy woman and i found my love. HOW GREAT IS THAT!!! Im a blessed woman.
    So  enjoy your life together, God bless you two
    sofia
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing ladies!  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the boat!  We will have beautiful, meaningful weddings, our own way :)
    Cesiao, where in Central America are you getting married?  I used to live in Nicaragua and Guatemala, so just curious :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm  getting married in Managua, Nicaragua. my FH's familiy lives in Granada and we were actually going to have it there at first, but most churches are Catholic, so we decided on a religious ceremony in a hotel in Managua. Good luck Wink
  • And i thought i was alone in this! I'm mexican and my fiancee and I have decided to just to a civil wedding because we are not religious in any way and if i ever became a real catholic i don't want to waste my only chance at getting married at church just because it was "protocol" withouth having a real meaning to me. Personally, my sister is extremely religious and she isn't really okay with my decision but she respects it. I have always wanted my dream wedding so either way i am getting married in a big wedding gown, with veil and we are currently looking for a judge that is willing to make a longer ceremony Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards