Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Has anyone done a Cupcake tree instead of a wedding cake?

Hi everyone,

We were thinking of doing a round 5 tier cupcake tree instead of a wedding cake. We would have a small like 6-8" round cake on the top tier for us to cut into and then all the way down would be cupcakes in different sizes and flavors, and some petite fours mixed in all from bethel bakery. The one we are thinking of using is from saveoncrafts.com and you can decorate it, so we were thinking of painting a pearl cream color and then getting pearl trim if we can find a nice one to line the edges.

Would this be weird to see at a wedding instead of a traditional wedding cake? I haven't been able to find a wedding cake design that I really like. And I was thinking with this I can decorate in the way I want and it would be easier, we would'nt need anyone to cut the cake for us.
http://www.weddingwire.com/kevinnicki Wedding Countdown Ticker image 108 Invited! image 85 Are ready to party!
image 18 Will be missing out image 05 Are MIA

Re: Has anyone done a Cupcake tree instead of a wedding cake?

• Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it's a great idea personally!

but all i really wanted to say was that i had the same garter for our wedding. i wasn't tossing that sucker, so i bought a cheapie garter from michael's for $2.99 and tossed that. DH liked the pens garter when he discovered it later on that night!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's definitely becoming more common now- not weird at all IMO. We had a cake b/c I'm traditional and that's what I wanted. My venue cut it for me at no additional cost also. But I say go for what you want!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a tiered cake and a couple of cupcake trees. I think we did 200 cupcakes in addition to the four-tier cake.

I like them, and think they are very cute! However, I think you have to be prepared to have more than one cupcake per person. I think at my wedding most people who ate cupcakes ate 3 or 4. Some people stuck to the cake and cookies. Some people had one of each.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cousin did cupcakes instead of a traditional cake.
    Everyone raved about it.  :)

She had a fall wedding and used clay pots stacked with the cupcakes on them.
    It was really cute.
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found a couple of photos I had taken:

• Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing it, but I LOVE cupcake trees.  Your idea sounds adorable!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    nicki426nicki426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jrsygrl10- I am still decideing if I want to toss or keep this one. I did buy a cute martha stewart garter in all white. This was the very first thing I bought for the wedding, I was so excited to find a pens garter.

morainemom - I love those pics, that is so cute! We are having the reception, at the merynik center and that would look very cute!

The stand we are using holds over 300 cupcakes, and we are having a cookie table so hopefully that will be enough for everyone. We are having less than 100 people.

Thanks for the support and advice everyone, this is the last major decision we have to make for the wedding. Everything else is pretty much done.
    http://www.weddingwire.com/kevinnicki Wedding Countdown Ticker image 108 Invited! image 85 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out image 05 Are MIA
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My DH and I had a small cake for us to cut and then we had 2 cupcake tiers for guests. Everyone loved the cupcakes. I agree with Nunu in having extra! Was a big hit at our wedding.
    ME:44 MH:42 DE IVF 2013
    image Matrix image Ollie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is an awesome idea. Not everyone likes wedding cake, so it gives people a different option. We are thinking of having a small cake for us to cut and then doing a dessert table with different kinds of cakes and sweets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards