Delaware

Dress Shoppes?

Anyone have any tips on shoppes that have fair prices on gowns?  Looking for Newark/Wilmington area.  Thanks!

Also, I am planning a big wedding gown shopping weekend in January - when should I make appointments?  Also, how long should I allow for each appointment?  I'm a long distance bride (live in NC) so I am planning on doing as much as I can that weekend!  

Thanks.  Smile

Re: Dress Shoppes?

• wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i bought at Davids Bridal on kirkwood HWY in Newark. just don't use their alterations.
  • obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, David's is on the list.  My sister got her alterations done there and said the same thing.

Know of any other places I should check out?
  • LBug24LBug24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brides & Grooms in Newark has a good selection of beautiful dresses! If you can, ask for Carmen, she's great!:)
    Don't use their alterations either.. prices range a lot, but they have something for any budget.

(but if you're from NC, i'd assume you'd probably want your alterations somewhere local to you?)

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I am going to get my alterations done in NC!  

Thanks LBug - I'll request Carmen.  

How long should I allow for each appointment?  2 hours?  

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_dress-shoppes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:5bda7aa7-292e-4886-99dd-f8a3f3326923Post:64d91011-0807-438e-9a1c-f3b3328a144b">Re: Dress Shoppes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Brides & Grooms in Newark has a good selection of beautiful dresses! If you can, ask for Carmen, she's great!:) Don't use their alterations either.. prices range a lot, but they have something for any budget. (but if you're from NC, i'd assume you'd probably want your alterations somewhere local to you?)
    Posted by LBug24[/QUOTE]

Loved Carmen! Also loved Faith. Would highly recommend either of them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LBug24LBug24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My first dress shopping experience was probably about an hour, and I tried on like 6 or 7 dresses. Have an idea of what you want before hand. I found that David's Bridal was a great starting place, because they have SO many styles you can narrow down what you like/don't like.. From DB, I was able to look at the boutiques and narrow down to specific style numbers and designers. If you're going on a weekday afternoon, they might have more time for you. I feel like 2 hours might be a bit long to hang out on a Saturday/Sunday for a consultant, but that's just my opinion. :)

The smaller boutiques that I went to typically had more of a goal in mind and a few specific dresses I wanted. They ran a bit faster.

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I have a folder with pictures from magazines of the styles I like.  I guess we should start out at DB, that's a good suggestion.

Thanks so much, I've obviously never done this before!
  • Shanae214Shanae214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try Frank Bernard Ltd too.  I planned a day of trying on dresses too. I went there first and they were the nicest people.  Very accommodating.  It was one on one consultation.  Then I went to Davids Bridal and I ended up walking out.  There was about 50 people all trying on dresses.  I had to share a dressing room.  It was a lil crazy.  I ended up going back to Frank Bernard and ordering the dress I loved there.  Alterations I went to Sophias Creative Alterations.  Shes the best!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually spur of the moment walked into a David's Bridal today and tried on 6 dresses.  I only liked one but certainly not enough to buy right now.  I think I will elimate them from my great january wedding gown search.  I don't think they have what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the tips!
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Avoid Bridal and Tuxedo Shoppe!!!!   They are dishonest and suck (sorry-they really stink)

Depending on what you want, I'd rec. Brides and Grooms.  I ended up going to JB Bridals, which is 3 hours away, because they were the only ones that carried my designer.

Ditto on Sophia's Alterations.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just an fyi - i just picked up my dress from Sophia and she said she was retiring at the end of this month. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where is Frank Bernard?

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!!  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.frankbernardltd.com/ Its on philadelphia pike.  No offense to anyone in that area but when my mom suggested it, i was in total protest.  and she told me to give it a chance.  We went, and just walking in the door, i thought it was out dated and ugly and i immediately wanted to leave.  But then we started looking around and the sales women were friendly and helpful.  And i got 1 on 1 attention.  There dressing rooms are huge.  Unlike davids bridal where you have a 4X4 room and then you have to come out infront of like 40 people to see what you look like. 
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard great things about Frank Bernard and I had a good bridesmaid experience at Fantasia. Not sure what the bridal experience is like there, but as a bridesmaid I loved the selection and the people were really nice.  It's a small shop on Concord PIke in North Wilmington.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_dress-shoppes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:5bda7aa7-292e-4886-99dd-f8a3f3326923Post:71e49a75-5dd3-40de-a7d2-e115eb36ae3f">Re: Dress Shoppes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.frankbernardltd.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.frankbernardltd.com/</a> Its on philadelphia pike.  No offense to anyone in that area but when my mom suggested it, i was in total protest.  and she told me to give it a chance.  We went, and just walking in the door, i thought it was out dated and ugly and i immediately wanted to leave.  But then we started looking around and the sales women were friendly and helpful.  And i got 1 on 1 attention.  There dressing rooms are huge.  Unlike davids bridal where you have a 4X4 room and then you have to come out infront of like 40 people to see what you look like. 
    Posted by Shanae214[/QUOTE]

<div>ALL of this exactly!</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Photobucket
  • EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i got mine at irini's on philadelphia pike- they can be very busy, an afternoon weekeday appt is best, but also very thorough...i actually found my dress in MD b/c i was living there at the time...they carried the designer, gave me a discount and my dress was beautiful...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had an incredible experience at Bridal & Tuxedo Shoppe in Newark, DE! Even though my wedding's not for a few years, I went to Bridal & Tuxedo and fell in love with and purchased the dress of my dreams! Fabulous, helpful staff that took the time to answer every one of my questions. I never felt pressured or rushed; they were amazing! Fabulous designers at great prices!
  • kiwigreen11kiwigreen11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll second Brides & Grooms.  We went on a weekday, worked with Faith and it was a great experience.  
    I found my bridesmaids dresses @ Frank Bernards, the lady there was very nice.  

word of caution - you mentioned that you were going in January.  apparently January is very busy in bridal seasons (with everyone getting engaged over teh holidays and all), so i'd recommed making an appointments whereever you go.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll definitely be making appointments.  Thanks! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards