Canada-Ontario

Warning: Each Bridesmaid Dress Store Stocks Very Different Sample Sizes

I've noticed that there is a significant difference in size of the sample dress that a store chooses to stock depending on which store you visit. 

At one store, the bridesmaid dresses were sizes 6-10. Some of my friends couldn't even try on some dresses. We then went to a different store which had some 12-14. I wish I had known, and could have saved my friends the initial embarrasment. One dress was a size 6 in one store but a different store stocked a a size 14.

I thought I'd mention this to give warning to anyone who is about to go dress shopping. Maybe other people could reply with the range of sizes they found at different stores? This could save any plus-sized bridesmaids some disappointment and embarrasment.

I'll start:

Vivi's Bridal (Richmond Hill) - Mostly sizes 6-10
Ritche Bridal (Toronto) - Mostly 10-14, some 16

Re: Warning: Each Bridesmaid Dress Store Stocks Very Different Sample Sizes

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It entirely depends on the designer.  They all fit differently.  In addition, sample dresses stretch out over time with lots of people getting in and out of them so the one you try on might be looser than the brand-new one that you order.

I tried on dresses all over the place (including Buffalo) and I was pretty true to size (8-10).  I didn't find any drastic differences in the designers I checked out.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_warning-size-of-bridesmaid-samples-different-store?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:6a1e4f0e-228c-4eb0-b8dd-91d84733247dPost:3b3cf336-cd2c-40b8-8617-efef55d3fb9e">Re: Warning: The Size of Bridesmaid Samples is Different at Each Store!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It entirely depends on the designer.  They all fit differently.  In addition, sample dresses stretch out over time with lots of people getting in and out of them so the one you try on might be looser than the brand-new one that you order. I tried on dresses all over the place (including Buffalo) and I was pretty true to size (8-10).  I didn't find any drastic differences in the designers I checked out.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

<div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;" class="Apple-style-span">The girls were all trying on the same designer at all stores. But one store would stock a size 6 sample and the other would stock a size 14. When you are bigger than a size 14, there is no way you can squeeze into a size 6 dress.</span><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:#ffffff;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:#ffffff;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">What I'm saying is that the size in stock changes from store to store, for the exact same dress. Some stores tend to carry much bigger sizes in their samples.</div></div>
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that some of the bigger and more well-known bridal stores, like Ritche, will tend to stock the smaller sizes so - 2-12 and sometimes 14. 

Perhaps, in future, it may be best to call the store ahead of time to find out what sizes they carry? 

I recall that in the very first bridal party I was in, the first store we went to only stocked size 8 and half the bridal party was around a size 10-12.  We ended up going to Fairweather (when they use to sell bridesmaid dresses) where they carried a range of sizes and we ended up getting our dresses there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards