Texas-Austin

Poll: how do you feel about a Monday wedding? Opinions needed.

To make an incredibly long story short, we had planned on doing our wedding Friday, December 17th, 2010. The reason for that is because we are getting married in a church that doesn't allow ceremonies to start past 2PM, but we wanted an evening reception and having the wedding Friday solves that.

Some of FI's family have made it clear that they will NOT attend a Friday wedding (this is a whole other rant in and of itself), and have asked us to please consider Monday, December 20th instead.

So, if you were a guest at my wedding how would you feel about doing a Sunday rehearsal dinner, a Monday wedding (with a Monday evening reception), and possibly having to take Tuesday off from work as well?

I'm guessing most people would not want to take those two days off before Christmas, but I thought I would poll the knot and see.

118 image
Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!

Re: Poll: how do you feel about a Monday wedding? Opinions needed.

• meganrosejmeganrosej member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a Monday wedding during the day, and then an evening reception would be really difficult for some people to attend. I know I would have a hard time taking a day or two off right before Christmas, especially if I was coming from out of town. You may end up having people not come to the ceremony, and just going to the reception, or vice-versa. We had our wedding on a Sunday evening, and a few people left early because they didn't want to stay out that late when they had to work or travel the next day. Also take into consideration where you are having the reception, and at what time. I went to a smallish Thursday wedding a few months ago that was supposed to start at 6:30, but because it was in central Austin, most of the guests were late due to rush-hour traffic.

But remember, you can't please everyone, so pick a date that works best for you and the people you most want at the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    To be honest, I probably wouldn't go.  It's really tough to ask off during the holidays as it is.  Do you have many people coming in from out of town?  If the ceremony was in the evening I'd probably try to at least make it to that.  Family is such a pain.  Do what you want.  In the end, it's your wedding and you can't please everyone, just you and your fiance.
  • edited December 2011
    i actually have two weeks off over christmas so i would go if it was in town. if i didn't have those days off, it would depend on how good of a friend you were.
  • edited December 2011
    I find it odd that your FI's family won't come to a Friday wedding, but feels it okay to request that the wedding be moved to a Monday which will inevitably inconvenience more people. Personally, Fridays are ALWAYS more convenient for me and FI than a Monday. That way, if we are driving from out of town we can have the weekend to travel back home and we'd be able to enjoy the event more because we could stay later (due to no work the next day). Having a Monday wedding would force OOT guests to have to return that night for work the next day, or miss another day of work on Tuesday.  Not to mention, the week of Christmas is busy for most people and difficult to get off work, as PP said.  Even if guests are in town, you will need to start the reception later as a PP said because traffic can be really difficult to navigate through, but then that would still put people out late during the week.

I don't know... it really sounds like the person who made this December 20 date change request is thinking about what's convenient for THEM and doesn't realize it isn't about just THEM. You likely have a guest list of multiple poeple you want to include, and of course it's ultimately about YOU.
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you. I now feel validated. Those brats.

Kelsey- a total of FIVE people on the guest list would be better served doing a Monady wedding. They are pitching a huge fit because they don't want to ask off for the Friday. When I suggested they take a half day off, they pitched another fit because then they wouldn't be able to make the rehearsal dinner Thursday night. So, in order to better serve THEM, they want me to move the date to a Monday, which inconveniences 145 out of 150 guests.

I'm not going to move the wedding, but like I said, I just wanted to poll the knot to see if their asking was actually ridiculous or if I was being a bridezilla.

118 image
  • MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little late but I, too, just had to say I wouldn't go to a wedding on a Monday.  That's just weird that people would suggest that!
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • edited December 2011
    akg- I hope I didn't come off rude! I just read my post again and I was a bit forceful. I was ticked off with a co-worker and typing out my frustration on your wedding guests, LOL.  Good luck with everything and just keep in mind that it is about YOU and FI. There is no pleasing everyone!   
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No ma'am you were not rude at all. Believe me, my guests have every right to have frustrations taken out on them (I say that mostly kidding, but still). Hey, I joined right in with you.

It's really quite shocking how rude people can be about weddings. I mean really... a Monday wedding, to fit FIVE schedules? Uh, no.
    118 image
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on your family's schedule. If they are all teachers, or another profession that might have off that whole week, then I think its fine. If they weren't planning on taking the week before Christmas off, then they might not come.

I think its a little better than a random monday because its the week before Christmas, though.

Remember that most salons are not open on Mondays...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards