Pennsylvania
Options

How the heck do you go about picking a DJ?

HELP! I have no clue what I'm doing. Obviously I want someone whos going to get my crowd moving, someone who can pronounce our names right, and someone who isn't all about flashy smoke machines. Any recommendations? Or, is there a way to go and listen to some of these DJs before signing?

Re: How the heck do you go about picking a DJ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way.  I have looked into some people by word of mouth.  Do you know anyone that got married lately?  There was one place that I contacted that actually sent me a Demo CD in the mail.  So I could hear his/her voice and style.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Asking for a CD is a good idea:) We picked our because my fiance knew him from high school and we heard so many great opinion about him. He is great but after one bridal show left some bad taste in my mouth, so I wish we would spend more time looking. I would definitely ask around among friends or people you work with. And ask for the CD or video so you can see it for yourself.

Good luck,
    Beata
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BeckyBevillBeckyBevill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree..absolutely ask for a dvd of their performance as well as references(for all..dj, florist, officiant, etc). I hired Paris from Good Vibrations. He will work with you on price. I told him someone offered to do it for a different price and he made up a different package. He is reputable and has great reviews. Another one that is supposedly VERY good is Bob Romeo from Backtrax. Good Luck
    P.S check out weddingwire.com for info and reviews :) 
  • Options
    MadisonStreetMadisonStreet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've worked with a number of DJ's over the years and have been very impressed with two:
    Good Vibrations - Paris Kiriakis 610.360.9908
    Rockin' Ramaley - Kevin Ramaley 610.393.3644

They play great music, get the crowd going and have a great presence.  Worth checking out.

-Leslie Ford
    Madison Street Productions - Wedding Videography
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also requested a CD and contact info on brides who had used the DJ in the past. I felt confident in my decision to book him after hearing and reading good reviews.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    Sunday81Sunday81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yea I am having a hard time as well...I don't want cheesy Macarena and electric slide...no smoke machines either!   I have one local DJ that replied back to me, but I have no idea who is decent in my area (schuylkill county or surrounding areas)?  A DVD/CD is a great idea for me to ask for, thanks for the suggestion. 

• Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow, i'm in the same boat!  i would of never thought i could ask them for a cd or dvd... that's a great idea!! i'm very bad at arranging and negotiating things also :(  that backtrax beckybevill mentioned is listed as a preferred vendor for my location so maybe i will start with them now. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards